Dear Freshmen: Dealing with Homesickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With all the shininess of orientation and the first weeks of classes wearing off, everyone is settling into the fall semester at Emerson. While back to school is routine for many Emersonians, this is the first time freshmen may find themselves dealing with a peculiar feeling: homesickness.

Perhaps you are missing autumn in your hometown or the football games you used to go to with your friends. But don’t worry! Homesickness is a universal part of the Freshman Experience. No matter how far away from home you are, it happens. Here are some tips to consider when you’re wishing you could go home:

1. It’s OK to be homesick.

First of all, experiencing homesickness is completely natural. I remember last year thinking it meant that I didn’t want to be at Emerson enough or that perhaps Emerson wasn’t the right school for me. If you find yourself thinking these things-stop! It’s not true at all. Living away from the place you’ve spent your whole life for the first time isn’t going to be easy. Unfortunately, you are going to miss some things. However, realizing how grateful you are for your hometown makes going home over winter break all the better.

2. Talk to people

“Communication is key” should really be the new golden rule for everything.

Talk to people about the way you are feeling. Whether it’s your friends back home, your friends here, or your parents, it helps to alleviate the pain. You may be surprised by how many people are feeling the same way. Last year my floor mates and I spent an hour reminiscing about the fast food restaurants we missed back home. It helps to know that you’re not the only one hurting. Also, remember that everyone is different and people go through homesickness in different stages. While it seems like everyone is having the time of their lives, that may not be the case.

3. Make your space your own

There were many nights when all I wanted to do was to go back to my room in my (comfortable) bed and use working wi-fi. Dorm rooms may never replace your room at home, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try. Making your room your own is key to feeling like Emerson is a place you can call home. It’s necessary to have a safe spot to come back to and your room is the perfect place for that. Whether it’s filling up those white walls or rearranging your setup, make your room you! (If you’re having any trouble with room decorating ideas, Her Campus has plenty of articles that can help you).

4. Get involved

The phrase you will never stop hearing from faculty, RAs, upperclassmen and basically everyone who can talk. The reason being is because it’s so true! 

Being alone in your room with nothing to do doesn’t help you from thinking about home. Getting involved helps with familiarizing yourself with the people and campus of Emerson, making it easier to call Emerson your new home.

5. Get to know Boston

Nothing can replace home, but the good thing is that you’re in a city that has plenty to offer. Boston has an endless amount of attractions for everyone, no matter what your tastes are. Don’t be afraid to get a group together (or join one!) and go somewhere interesting. An easy way to explore a variety of Boston attractions is to attend the events that RAs host for students. You can find them posted on the wall by the elevator bays on your floor.

The most important thing to remember is to remind yourself of why you are here. You are here to become the best at what you want to do. You’re surrounded by people looking to do the same thing, in an environment that fosters creativity and encourages your ideas and dreams. You only get four years of this so enjoy it while you can!

Deirdre Murray is a sophomore studying journalism at Emerson College. Although she is from Minnesota, she enjoys living in Boston very much. Since moving to Boston, she has become a Red Sox superfan and a Dunkin’ addict. She developed her interest in journalism working for her high schools news shows, the 4Cast and the Flash. She enjoys reading articles featured in Salon, The Atlantic and Time. Her dream job would be getting paid to travel and write about women’s stories around the world.
Emerson contributor