The Collegiette’s Guide to the New iPhones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s been a big week for Apple, what with the keynote, the release of iOS7, and now the release of their two new iPhones. If you haven’t quite caught up with all the info, here’s a quick guide to help you learn a little bit about the phones and what they can do for you.

The iPhone 5c: For the Colorful

The basis:

With its colorful body, popping screen, ultrafast wireless, and awesome camera, it’s easy to see what kind of person this iPhone is for – the colorful. If you’re always on the go, taking pictures and making videos along with sending texts and browsing the web, this is the phone for you. It’s bright, fun and a slightly less expensive alternative to the other iPhones.

Its cool features:

1.  The design. Apple is throwing back to the days of the popping colors we once saw on the iPods. The iPhone 5c comes in a bright green, pretty coral, sky blue, bright pale yellow, and plain white. The colorful plastic shell built around the steel-reinforced frame makes it a perfect fit for your hand.

2.  Cases. Along with these fun phones, Apple is selling some colorful cases. They’re aimed to be just as colorful and well made as the phone itself, and offer some protection. They come in the five original iPhone 5c colors, along with black.

3.  Built-in apps. The iPhone 5c comes with all the cool service your old iPhone came with, but now it offers Apple’s iWork bundle (Keynote, Pages, and Numbers) as well as iMovie and iPhoto – for free!

4.  The A6 chip. The new A6 chip allows the 5c do work faster than ever while draining your battery slower than ever.

5.  The iSight Camera. The iPhone 5c comes with a very advanced, 8MP iSight camera and new camera app that takes panoramas, videos and regular or square photos as crisp and bright as ever!

The basic tech specs and prices:

Color: The iPhone 5c comes in white, pink, yellow, blue, and green.

Capacity and price: The 16GB is sold at $99 and the 32GB is sold at $199.

Carriers: AT&T, Sprint, T Mobile, and Verizon.

To check out many more details on the iPhone 5c, click here.

The iPhone 5s: Forward Thinking

The basis:

Super sleek, thin and light, and extra fast, the iPhone 5s is Apple’s most advanced smartphone ever. With its meticulously planned design, new 64-bit architecture, and tons of new integrated technology, the iPhone 5s is unprecedented. If you’re looking for the most recent, most carefully designed, and most advanced iPhone possible, this is the one for you.

Its cool features:

1.  Touch ID. Apple is addressing the issue of hacking and stealing by eliminating it altogether and making your fingerprint your new passcode. The 5s allows you to enable Touch ID, which will ask for your finger instead of a password or set of numbers. You can also use it as an Apple ID password for when you’re buying new apps and songs via your phone.

2.  The A7 chip. Just like the iPhone 5c, the 5s is getting a brand new chip (though it will be 2x faster than the 5c’s A6 chip). It makes your phone super fast and ultra clear.

3.  The new M7 coprocessor. Apple describes the new processor as “a sidekick to the A7 chip.” It can tell what you’re doing – running, walking, driving – and adjust when necessary to save battery.

4.  The iSight Camera. Just like the 5c, the iPhone 5s got a new camera and camera app! It’s as advanced as ever, bringing you crisp pictures and videos.

5.  Built-in apps. Also like the 5c, the 5s comes with all the cool service your old iPhone came with, but now it offers Apple’s iWork bundle (Keynote, Pages, and Numbers) as well as iMovie and iPhoto – for free!

The basic tech specs and prices:

Color: Space Gray (black with silver details), Gold (white with champagne details), and Silver (white with silver details)

Capacity and price: The 16GB is sold at $199, the 32GB is sold at $299, and the 64GB is sold at $399.

To check out many more details on the iPhone 5s, click here.

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.