The Collegiette’s Guide to Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s Sunday night. You walk into your common room to chill with your friends and floormates, only to find faces glued to the football game on TV. Depending on your relationship with the sport, your first instinct might be to walk back out and retreat to your room for a Netflix binge to avoid sitting through a game that can be hard to get into. But football can be as entertaining as the latest episode of Revenge once you get the basics and follow these tips for going from foe to fan.

First, you need to pick your team. You have to have someone to root for, because after all it is a competition. If you’re from a city, you could side with your hometown team. From San Diego to Houston to right here in Beantown, there’s a team for pretty much every region. If you’re not so loyal to your roots, there are other ways to choose your favorite team, and no method is out of bounds. Pick the team with your favorite colors, the team with the best record, or if you’re into the underdog thing, the team with the worst record.

Now it’s time to learn the game. Let’s be honest, football is not the simplest sport in terms of rules, regulations, gameplay and everything in between. But it doesn’t have to be rocket science, and you don’t have to have every last detail memorized. You can pick up knowledge just by watching a game and asking your pals questions about certain aspects. When in doubt, just focus on the three P’s: Points, Plays, Position.

Points is the score of the game, and the moves that affect it- touchdowns, which are worth 6 points; field goals, which are worth 3; PATs (point after touchdown), worth 1 point; and a safety, worth 2 points. Plays are enacted by the offensive players on the field to help them gain yardage and eventually get to the red zone, a section of the field where scoring is possible. A team’s playbook is filled with different ways to move the players down the field and prosecute the perfect touchdown (though it doesn’t always turn out that way). Position relates to the team’s position on the 120-yard field, which constantly changes depending on whether the offense or defense is playing, and depending on individual plays. Position also describes the position of the players, aka their “title” — quarterback, who calls the shots and passes the ball; wide receiver, which is exactly what is sounds like, and several more.

Lastly, you should make it fun. Football is more than a game, it’s a social event. And the best part is, it happens every Sunday during the season so for 16 weeks you’ll have your plans set. Get together with some friends who are fellow fans of the same team, make some fun themed snacks and host an informal viewing party. Or raise the stakes and watch with a fan of rival team. You can bet Board Bucks or a DH swipe on the outcome of the game to amp up the action, or simply compete for bragging rights. For the 21+ crowd, you can make a drinking game out of it; take a shot every time a field goal misses or every time someone does a victory dance after a touchdown. Football can be a great way to bond with people you wouldn’t normally have things in common with, and the possibilities for enjoying it are endless. Once you equip yourself with the right knowledge and motivation, you’ll be hooked!

For more detailed info on gameplay, click here.

Blog Co-Editor and Staff Writer for HC Emerson. writer. shower singer. poet. IMDb buff. nail artist. cat & dog lover. fangirl. tennis player. die-hard Steelers fan. chef. moviehopper. Netflix addict.
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop