Claire’s Coquetry: Couture Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I try to invite a level of seduction into everything I do and believe that life is meant to be flirted with. Claire’s Coquetry is a blog that highlights different things that will help you sex up your wardrobe, spice up your life and let your inner vixen claw her way out.

This week was fashion week in Paris and designers debuted their 2012 spring couture collections. 

Jean Paul Gaultier did an Amy Winehouse tribute, with his models decked out in huge bouffants, over the top cat eyes, and fake moles. It wasn’t my favorite of the shows, but delivered the expected Gaultier rock n’ roll chic and I was more than impressed. My favorite looks included veils, giving a cheeky wedding feel to a pair of hot shorts and a bustier. 

It’s not always over leather and stripper heels over here at the coquetry; I love a lace-wedding piece just as much as any girl and this week Elie Saab delivered some drool worthy gowns. The looks featured were covered in the delicate detail Saab is known for. There were gowns in pink, blue, yellow, a beautiful mint green, as well as various shades of white and neutrals. Once again, I was struck with wedding fantasies, but who wasn’t?

If I ever get a day job, I’ll need to make enough money so that I can wear Christian Dior’s haute couture collection everyday of the year. I don’t think Anna Wintour would disapprove, but my wallet might. Dior’s second show comprised of looks by Bill Gaytten featured sheer, delicate fabrics, unfinished details and full-skirted silhouettes. Gaytten used the quote “Elegance must be the right combination of distinction, naturalness, care and simplicity,” on the top of the show note, and I couldn’t agree with him more.  

Here is a video released by Criterion Collection on three reasons to watch (and love) Belle de Jour, which came out on Criterion Collection on January 17th  It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite films and I’ve just finally got my hands on my own copy. This masterpiece, written and directed by Luis Buñuel, the surrealist genius behind “Un Chien Andalou” and contemporary of Salvador Dali, stars Catherine Deneuve as Severine Serizy. Severine is a bored housewife that decides to fulfill her fantasies, however dark and sinister they may be. She also only wears Yves Saint Laurent, another enviable quality. I keep a blown up still from the film on my wall to remind me to be classy, yet always pursue my beautiful dark twisted fantasies. Excuse the facebook glamour shot. 

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.