Claire Underwood’s Powerful Wardrobe is the Best Part of “House of Cards” Season 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Move over Mellie Grant, there’s a new First Lady in town. Claire Underwood is without a doubt the most stylish First Lady on the silver screen (er, Netflix) that we’ve seen in a while. Underwood’s style has done nothing but elevate over the past 3 seasons of Netflix’s original series “House of Cards” as she has made the transition from politician’s wife and CEO to First Lady.

Actress Robyn Wright enlisted the help of her personal stylist Kemal Harris to help her make this transition smooth, and if you’ve watched Season 3 yet (if not, get prepared to binge watch), you’ll see that it’s definitely been a change that Underwood fits right into.

Harris told Women’s Wear Daily in a recent interview that she looked to 40s Hollywood stars such as Katherine Hepburn and Lauren Bacall to soften Claire’s image and giver her a chance to show her “vulnerability and feminine side too.” Harris has styled Wright in designers such as Alexander McQueen, Proenza Schouler and Ralph Lauren this season.

While her outfits of black and white skirt and top combos are typical of what you would see on Capitol Hill, it’s her delivery that makes her powerful. Her day-to-day outfits are minimal, with flattering cuts and lines and a neutral color palette, but her powerful personality and commanding presence separate her from the rest. 

Hey Collegiettes! I'm Jacqueline a senior at Emerson College. I'm a Journalism major and Political Communications minor at Emerson with hopes of working in freelance journalism with a focus in fitness and beauty! I'm a beauty blogger and a member of the InfluenceHer Collective, the Campus Correspondant for Her Campus at Emerson, am a High School Ambassador Advisor, and interned with Her Campus as a Blogger Network Management Intern in summer 2015.
Emerson contributor