Charities Who Will Appreciate Your Disapproval of Nike’s New Ad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As we all know, there has been a massive uproar in the recent weeks over Nike’s decision to run an ad featuring Colin Kaepernick (ad pictured below), the football player known for kneeling during the national anthem.  As a result, many people who disagree with the man’s right to peacefully protest have been burning or mutilating Nike products, and vowing to never shop with the brand again. While you might decide that you no longer wish to wear Nike products again, that doesn’t mean that people in need have the luxury to choose what brands they wear.  They just need something to wear.

If you are someone who disagrees with Nike’s decision and you are unsure what to do with all those Nike products you no longer want, consider helping those who are less fortunate than you instead of burning them. There are many people in the United States who do not have the luxury to burn clothing because they disagree with one thing a brand does, so why not give them something to wear.  

Below is a list of charities in the Boston Area that are in need of clothing and product donations for you to donate anything at all you don’t want, even your Nike products.  Just because these are in Boston, however, doesn’t mean that there are not any in other parts of the U.S. as well.

1. Rosie’s Place

2. New England Center and Home for Veterans

3. Room to Grow

4. The Women’s Lunch Place

5. Big Brother Big Sister of Massachusetts Bay

6. Cradles to Crayons

7. The St. Francis House

While this list doesn’t include all the places to donate, it does include a few, and if you are really looking to help those in need, another donation center closer to you is just a google search away.

Let’s do better than acting on privilege and anger, let’s help those in need.  

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.