This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has always been a chapter that likes to take risks, so emailing the chapter network to spotlight different Her Campus Chapters at other schools was no different. One of the schools that we decided to introduce to you is the chapter at Wake Forest, located in Winston-Salem, NC. The mascot for the school is the Demon Deacon, which if you don’t know what that is, you can find out more information here. The HC Wake Forest chapter is made up of about 75 members and they are growing more and more each year. The CCs explained that their “chapter provides a great learning experience to its members and a way to connect with an even larger group of individuals and organizations on campus.” Their chapter is comprised of a social media team, events team, marketing team, and writing team, all headed by a 15-person executive board! 

Speaking of the team’s executive board, their 15 members, and their positions, are as follows: 

1. President/Campus Correspondent – Katina Porras: junior, public health policy and communications double major from Guatemala 

2. Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent – Claire Fletcher: senior, mathematical business major 

3. VP – Taylor Knupp: junior, business major with a concentration in marketing currently studying abroad in Barcelona 

4. Treasurer – Sarah DeFelice: junior, double major in finance and sociology with a concentration in crime and criminal justice

5. Secretary – Jenny Hua: senior, communication major, double minor in education and counseling from VA

6. Events Director – Katharine Hsiao: sophomore, accounting major from Miami, FL

7. Social Media/Marketing Director (Fall) – Grace Murray: sophomore, finance major, psychology minor

8. Marketing Director – Kaveri Reddy: junior, business and enterprise management major, psychology and entrepreneurship minor from Rye Brook, NY

9. Social Media – Lynn Huffard: junior

10. Photography Chair – Mary Fran Howard: junior, classical studies major, politics and international affairs minor from Far Hills, NJ

11. Community Outreach Chair – Nastasia Lavrinovich: sophomore international affairs and politics major, entrepreneurship and journalism minor from Demarest, New Jersey

12. Feature Editors:

• Caitlin Shaw: sophomore communication major, dance and English minors from Cincinnati, OH

• Joanne Li: senior, majors in politics and international affairs & economics from Beijing 

1. Profile Editors:

• Kristin Knight: senior, communications major 

• Sydney Comstock: senior, majors in politics & international affairs and anthropology, minor in history from Kensington, Maryland 

The chapter highlighted both the favorite feature and their favorite profile. Their favorite feature article is “College Wasn’t Created for Introverts: The Honest Truth.” They really lied this piece because it is a different look on the structure of college and how it is socially constructed. In terms of their favorite profile article, the chapter selected an interview with Elsa Sjogren, who is a Wake Forest freshman from St. Louis Missouri. This piece focuses on women studying STEM fields at Wake Forest and highlights the work that Elsa has done assisting the elderly with their technological challenges. If you are looking for more amazing content from HC Wake Forest, check out their Her Campus Page

Not only is the chapter busy creating amazing content, but they are also working feverishly to run 1-2 events every month. This semester, they have been able to hold a DIY body scrub workshop, viewing parties for the HC fashion show, and a HC x NYT event. They are also planning on having an end of semester party where they are going to reward all of their most dedicated members from each of the teams that make up HC Wake Forest. They have also done events like HC sponsored Zumba classes, RAD (rape agression defense) classes for women, a make-up tutorial class, and a GrubHub sponsored event that provided free taco bell to students during finals.  They are looking forward to hosting their partnership with a local boutique, URBN grl, for a pre-Black Friday sale in which the team (or those following teh HC Wake Forest instagram) will receive 20% off on all sales that day. 

When we asked about their favorite team memory, the CCs explained that they really loved their end of semester parties. They always order Italian food (complete with lots of spaghetti) from their favorite off-campus restaurant and the whole team gets together to enjoy. This event gives them the chance to spend time with each other before finals, and they get to reward their members for their hard work over the semester with little gift bags!

We took a moment to ask the CCs what they wanted everyone to know about their chapter the most, to which they responded that: “We really enjoy our time together in our chapter and we think of ourselves as a family, rather than just a group on campus. We come from all different backgrounds and majors and it’s amazing to form such close connections and empower each other.” 

The HC Wake Forest chapter is always looking to grow, so, in addition to going to all of their events, you can also join their chapter! If you are looking to join a chapter that is self described as “dedicated, hard-working, and supportive,” teh HC Wake Forest might be the place for you!  In order to join, you can sign up at the spring (or fall) org fair by finding their table, follow them on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and DM them, or send them an email at hc.wakeforest@hercampus.com.  You can also attend one of their on campus events (such as Project Pumpkin) to learn more about the team and becoming a member! All of these events are advertised around campus, so that you can see where and when they will be held.  

Bonus Questions: 

TS: What Hogwarts house does your chapter most identify with? 

CCs: Gryffindor 

TS: If your chapter could be described with one animal, what would that animal be and why? 

CCs: Dolphin – intelligent, communicate well with others, and a symbol of peace & happiness

TS: Is your chapter team Edward or Team Jacob?  Or for daring, Team Kristen Stewart as a person?

CCs: Team Edward 

TS: Is your chapter more cat people or dog people?

CCs: Probably more dog people but we also like cats 

TS: Does your chapter identify more with beaches or lakes?

CCs: We have both in NC! – we love a good lake or beach weekend with friends

TS: What time of year (semester, trimester, quarter) has the best classes to add to your schedules?

CCs: Fall semester

*All photos provided by HC Wake Forest*

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.