tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Chapter Spotlight Series: Spelman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has always been a chapter that likes to take risks, so emailing the chapter network to spotlight different Her Campus Chapters at other schools was no different. One of the schools that we decided to introduce to you is the chapter at Spelman. The chapter is currently made up of about 15 members, and was just reestablished by Current CC Kimani Leftridge this past summer. The chapter is located in Atlanta, Georgia and is at an all women’s HBCU. They hold female empowerment, especially the empowerment of black women, extremely close to their hearts. 

The chapter currently has an executive board of six people: 

• Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor: Kimani Leftridge, a sophomore with a major in sociology and anthropology from Columbus, Ohio 

• Publicity and Marketing Coordinator: Madison Harris, a sophomore with a major in computer science from Houston, Texas  

• Publicity and Marketing Director: Jasmine Lecesne, a sophomore with a major in psychology from New Orleans, Louisiana 

• Event Planning Coordinator: JaNae Fleming-Gyau, a sophomore with a major in psychology from Washington D.C. 

• Event Planning Director: Orlasha Phillips-Pickens, a junior with a major in biochemistry from Savannah, Georgia  

• Social Media Director: Miyai Carter, a sophomore with a major in psychology on the pre-law track from Atlanta, Georgia 

The chapter also wanted to highlight some of the content that they have been working hard on all semester: 

For more content, check out their HC Page

Since the chapter has re-launched so recently, they haven’t been able to plan any large scale events just yet, however, events are something that they are really looking forward to moving forward, and they may or may not have a few brewing for the upcoming semester. They are also looking forward to building relationships with other organizations on their campus,  potentially doing partnership events with them, and to bond more as a team. 

One thing that they are hoping to accomplish this semester is obtaining a larger audience. They want their content to be representative of the community, and for the community to love what they are producing, so getting more people to read their work is a huge priority for them. Additionally they are hoping to be able to run events and do partnership for all of their campus to enjoy! While they are not an official club yet, they are working toward this recognition so that they can do even more for the community. 

If you are looking to get involved with the HC Spelman chapter, look no further (okay…maybe a little further—but only just). You can find them on all their social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) or send them an email directly at HC.Spelman@hercampus.com. They are also connected with a few other organizations around campus, so you can locate them through those clubs as well. CC Kimani wants to make sure that everyone knows that HC Spelman is dedicated to producing content for their readers that is relevant, entertaining, and most importantly, accurate. 

Finally, we asked the chapter to describe themselves in three words, to which, CC Kimani responded that HC Spelman is “Passionate, driven and lively. [HC Spelman is] a group of people who care deeply about the things that are most important to [them], [they] work hard for the things [they] wish to achieve and have fun while doing it.”

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.