This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has always been a chapter that likes to take risks, so emailing the chapter network to spotlight different Her Campus Chapters at other schools was no different. One of the schools that we decided to introduce to you is the chapter at BU. HCBU is a chapter dedicated to “harboring community, following [their] dreams, and knowing that at the end of the day [they] are multifaceted, strong women who love to create,” according to the CCs of the chapter. They love being located right in the heart of Boston, since it opens their members to a ton of opportunities around the city. The HCBU chapter is almost ten years old, having launched shortly after the company was founded, and they are currently 83 members strong (and growing). They pride themselves on taking a holistic approach to their collaborations, and work to perfect the balance between their life inside the chapter, and their life outside the chapter. 

On the executive board for BU, are some of the team’s most dedicated members. They have all provided their own bios, which we have quoted below so you can get the chance to meet them! 

• Margo Ghertner is one of the CCs for HCBU. She is studying Journalism in the College of Communication and Women and Gender Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences. Margo has been a part of Her Campus since the beginning of her freshman year, and has been in training to be CC since her sophomore year. 

• Sam Lurie is one of the CCs for HCBU. She is a sophomore studying Advertising in the College of Communication and Psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences. Sam has been a part of Her Campus since the beginning of her freshman year and has since trained to be CC and interned at Her Campus HQ in their Community Management and Integrated Marketing teams. You can also catch her walking the runway at College Fashion Week in just a few weeks!

• Celeste Lim is the PR Director for HCBU. She is a senior studying Public Relations in the College of Communication. Celeste has been a part of HCBU since the beginning of her freshman year, and has served as a team leader and intern for the club’s PR and social media teams. (let me know if you need more info lol)

• Geneve Lau is the Recruitment Director for HCBU. She’s a junior in the College of Communication also studying PR. After falling in love with HCBU fall of her freshman year, she had been an active member of the chapter and interned at the HCHQ last summer as an integrated marketing intern! Geneve is also walking in College Fashion Week for the second year in a row in just a few weeks! 

• Madeline Hughes is one of the senior editors for Her Campus BU. She’s a senior at Boston University’s College of Communication, majoring in both Journalism and Public Relations. She has been a part of Her Campus BU since her first semester freshman year, initially joining the writing team then moving on up to editor and finally senior editor. Additionally, Madeline is also a Her Campus national writer and section editor, having interned at Nationals for two semesters and becoming the Sex & Relationships and Identity features editor for the national Her Campus organization!

• Ivy Fan is one of Events Directors for Her Campus BU. She is a sophomore in the Questrom School of Business, concentrating in Marketing and Law, and following her passions by minoring in Psychology. She has been with HCBU for over a year now, since joining in September as a Freshman, she was on the PR Team and spearheaded a “Weekend Wellness” campaign that brought awareness to mental health and self-care routines. From the PR team, she then became one half of the Events Directors duo and has been planning, marketing, and executing events for the HCBU Team. 

• Sarah Ju is the other Events Director for Her Campus BU. She’s a sophomore at the College of Communication majoring in Public Relations. She first joined HCBU in the first semester of her freshman year and started out on the PR Team, where she led a campaign about Sexual Health and Sexual Assault Awareness on campus. She now helps lead the Events Team, which puts on fun and exciting events for the BU chapter, from shopping parties to networking opportunities. 

Turning over to the chapter’s content, we asked what their favorite profile and feature pieces were. The chapter responded with an article in each category. For features, the team selected an article written by a recent graduate, Rebecca Grandahl, in which she wrote about her expirience with abortion. In terms of profiles, the chapter selected to highlight an example from their profile series from last Fall, where members wrote articles about each other. They wanted to focus on and highlight the achievements of other members of their chapter through these articles. The one they selected as an example of this was Clara Martiny’s article. If you want to read more of HCBU’s amazing articles, check out their Her Campus Page

Since BU has a large chapter, they have a team that is dedicated to running events, lead by Sarah and Ivy. The team has plans to expand this year, however, right now they are sticking to running some really awesome events. Last year, they ran monthly bullet journal workshops, madewell shopping parties, and a Galentine’s Movie night! They really love their shopping parties, where their team gets to enjoy refreshments and receive discounts at their favorite stores. They also hosted a Halloween Bowling Night this semester at Lucky Strike, which was catered for their members while also helping to fundraise for the HCBU team. They are also in the process of planning their very first Her Campus Networking Conference, which will feature local business women, alumni, and the Intern Queen Lauren Berger. The event is going to be open to HCBU members and chapters in the surrounding area, where they will be able to meet Lauren and get tips and tricks on scoring jobs in their careers! 

Their favorite team memory is the holiday party that they run each year in partnership with other Boston Chapters. They love getting to work with the local sponsors and get to know other HC teams around the city. They love that they get to celebrate the end of the semester this way, and include so other chapters in their festivities. 

As their team is growing, the chapter is really focused on maintaining their sense of community. The CCs want to make sure that everyone involved with the chapter sees HCBU as a safe space to share their voices, and for their voices to be heard. They have really defined themselves through the community they have been able to create on campus, and they want everyone to know that despite the fact that they are an online publication, this community is a key element in their club. The CCs stated that they “wouldn’t be where [they] are without [their] members and [they] want to do as much as [they] canto make sure [their members] feel valued.” 

If you are looking to get involved with HCBU, you can find them at the school’s club fairs in the first and second semester. They also have a lot of potential members reach out to them over social media, which is perfectly fine to do as well! You can find them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest

Finally, we asked HCBU to describe themselves in three words, to which the CCs responded: “Supportive, loyal, and inspiring. All of our members are so dedicated to our organization and they put out incredible work whether it be through editorial, PR, social, or events. Everyone looks out for one another and makes HC BU a very inclusive environment.”

All photos provided by HCBU

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.