Life > Experiences

Chapter Spotlight Series: Agnes Scott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Emerson has always been a chapter that likes to take risks, so emailing the chapter network to spotlight different Her Campus Chapters at other schools was no different. One of the schools that we decided to introduce to you is the chapter at Agnes Scott. This chapter is very near and dear to my heart, since I was their Chapter Advisor for a few semesters. I got to know the team really well, and they definitely deserve to be highlighted for the hard work that they do. Though they are a small team of about 15 members, they let their members take the wheel to write about what they are passionate about. Their articles are as unique as the Agnes Scott community, a small liberal arts women’s college, who are very outspoken about the things they believe in, and the team is no different in striving to share news relevant to their community and personal hot takes. The chapter is located in Decatur, GA, and they were founded in 2016 by Mea Resa Homer and Elizabeth Wolfe. The chapter also wanted to make a very special note to their founders, saying that they are so thankful to have had them as a part of their chapter, and to start it. 

Though they have a small team, their executive board has many positions for members to get involved with. Running the show after the graduation of their founders are Co-CCs Brianna Walton, a junior Political Science Major and Anthropology/Sociology Minor, and Claire Romine, a junior English Literature/Political Science major and Women’s Studies minor. Working as the team’s secretary is Annel Chavez, a junior English Creative Writing major, and the team’s treasurer is Spencer Hatcher, a sophomore English Literature and Anthropology/Sociology major. The team’s senior editor is Raquel Parker, a 2nd year Graduate Student/M.A., Writing and Digital Communications. Finally, running all things marketing is Laci Murray, a sophomore Creative Writing Major in charge of the teams event planning and social media. 

Having advised HC Agnes Scott, I know that their content is always stellar. They really push their writers to produce high quality content that is engaging and interesting for the readers of the Agnes Scott community. The team first wanted to highlight Co-CC Claire Romine’s “J.K. Rowling, I’m Sorry, but I’m Over You.” Additionally, the chapter wanted to highlight writer Lila Holland’s “Straight Up Having a Good Time: How to Navigate College Parties Safely.” In terms of profiles, the team selected to highlight an article written by Alex Brown entitled “MeaResea and Elizabeth’s Reflections on Her Campus Agnes Scott.” For more amazing content, check out their Her Campus Page

On the event side of the chapter, HC Agnes Scott has been up to some super fun planning!  They recently did an event with “The Profile,” another on-campus club. They had a panel of journalists who shared their advice and expertise with attendees. They are looking to do more team bonding and other collaborations with the organizations on their campus. They are also looking to increase their diversity of their subject matter in writing articles and increase their presence on campus. One of their favorite things that they do as a team is at the end of each semester, when they pass out all the goodies from their survival kits to their members. This is two fold: it is a way to help incentives everyone to keep sharing their voices and stories, and a way to say thank you to their writers for putting in so much hard work over the course of the semester.  

If you are looking to get involved with HC Agnes Scott (as I suggest you do, this team is one of the most wonderful I have ever had the pleasure of working with), you can find them on their Her Campus Page, or by sending an email to hc.agnesscott@hercampus.com (or directly to any members of the executive board. You can also DM the chapter on any of their social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram)! If you are going to join, there are a few things that HC Agnes Scott want to make sure that everyone knows first. The CCs wanted everyone to know that “[their] writers have a lot of freedom to write about what they think is important, and have turned in some great pieces about school issues.” Additionally, they want everyone to know that their chapter is diverse, fun, and talented. They pride themselves in having writers from a variety of different backgrounds, years, and majors, and the work that their members put in shows off their talents for writing about topics that are both fun and serious.  

Bonus Questions: 

TS: What Hogwarts house does your chapter most identify with? 

CCs: Ravenpuff  

TS: If your chapter could be described with one animal, what would that animal be and why? 

CCs: Scottie dog- It’s a little bit obvious to choose the school mascot, but we are mischievous, small, and mighty!

TS: Is your chapter team Edward or Team Jacob?  Or for daring, Team Kristen Stewart as a person?

CCs: Kristen Stewart  

TS: Is your chapter more cat people or dog people?

CCs: Dog people

TS: Does your chapter identify more with beaches or lakes?

CCs: Lakes

TS: What time of year (semester, trimester, quarter) has the best classes to add to your schedules?

CCs: Year round :)

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.