Campus Celebrity: Mary Baker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Name: Mary Baker

Major/Minor: Writing, Literature & Publishing Major, Marketing Communications Minor

YOG: May 2017 

Hometown: Chesterfield, Missouri

Fun fact? I have 46 cousins on my mom’s side of the family! Also, I’m from St. Louis but am cheering for the Chicago Cubs to win the World Series this year so I’m a bit of a traitor in my hometown. 

What extra-curriculars are you involved in? I’m President of Achoired Taste a cappella, secretary of Undergraduates for Publishing, head substantive editor at Wilde Press, and marketing director for Generic magazine. I was also at Kasteel Well last fall!

Any jobs or internships? I am the social media marketing intern at Harvard Common Press, a cookbook publisher in the South End! I get to write about food and Instagram food all the time, it’s great. I’m also on the New England Book Show Committee for Book Builders of Boston. I’m a desk assistant in the Little Building when I’m not doing all of those things, tapping IDs and trying to get through the next Outlander book.

Words you live by? “Love many things, for therein lies the true strength and whosoever loves much performs much and accomplishes much, and what is done in love is done well.”  — Vincent van Gogh

Where do you see yourself after graduation? Moving to New York city and working at Penguin/Random House at one of their Young Adult imprints doing substantive editing! 

Best Emerson experience so far? I had the best time at Kasteel Well (just ask my friends, I don’t shut up about it!) I loved traveling, both alone and with groups of my friends. My favorite memories include a solo trip to Edinburgh where I climbed Arthur’s Seat, a crazy weekend through Munich and Berlin on the train and wandering around the Christmas markets in Prague. However, another favorite memory is from the Boston campus, when Achoired Taste performed at Acappellooza my freshman year. I was just a freshman but I got to perform on the Paramount stage with some of my best friends in the world and my dad flew in from St. Louis to see me. 
Hey Collegiettes! I'm Jacqueline a senior at Emerson College. I'm a Journalism major and Political Communications minor at Emerson with hopes of working in freelance journalism with a focus in fitness and beauty! I'm a beauty blogger and a member of the InfluenceHer Collective, the Campus Correspondant for Her Campus at Emerson, am a High School Ambassador Advisor, and interned with Her Campus as a Blogger Network Management Intern in summer 2015.