Boston’s Spring Date Hot Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We’ve suffered through a long leap-month, and now March is finally here! For some of us, it’s time for spring cleaning—and I don’t just mean your dorm room. If you’ve gone through the post-Valentine’s breakup and spring has brought you a budding new romance, you’re probably looking for someplace new to take your beau. Boston has a wealth of exciting spots for date night, but every collegiette has to know where to get a steal, how to score a deal, and when it’s worth the splurge.

STEAL: Free movie screenings ($0!)

A Boston spring almost always comes coupled with torrential downpours, and while April showers may bring May flowers, it’s hard to see the bright side when the rain puts a damper on your afternoon plans. The movie theater has always been the old standby for a washed-out day, but with ticket prices shooting up to $11.50 a pop at Boston’s theaters, your wallet may not be able to suffer the blow every time a new Nicholas Sparks movie comes out. Lucky for you, the entertainment industry has a well-kept secret: gofobo.com. This goldmine churns out new, free advanced movie screenings for all over the Boston area several times a week, and if you’re diligent, you can snatch up some free passes for two!

Protip: Follow the @MAScreenings twitter for the most up-to-date information on Boston’s local screenings if you don’t feel like checking gofobo every day.

DEAL: Restaurant Week ($22-$33)

For the gourmet-minded, March means one thing: Restaurant Week(s)! From March 18-23 and the 25-30, Boston’s finest dining institutions offer deeply discounted prix fixe 3-course dinners, 3-course lunches, and 2-course light lunches. $33.12 per person for dinner might be above your usual price range, but Restaurant Week is the only time of the year where you can bust out your finest threads and dine like a queen, without completely breaking the bank. And if the weather is in our favor, the end of March may even bring the start of patio dining season! For those of us at Emerson, I would recommend checking out the Beehive on Tremont (they play live jazz while you eat! Does it get cooler than that?), Max Brenner on Boylston (their Restaurant Week menu includes a free gourmet hot chocolate…on top of dessert!), and Top of the Hub on Boylston (a beautiful panoramic view of Boston in the springtime! Super romantic). If these spots don’t tickle your fancy, there’s sure to be something that does: check out restaurantweekboston.com for menus and reservation details.

SPLURGE: The House of Blues ($25-$40)

Boston’s House of Blues is undoubtedly the coolest place to see a show, and March boasts some of the best acts around. If you’re looking to win a hipster’s heart, invite him to Young the Giant, Kaiser Chiefs, Gotye, Justice or Odd Future. Or for the rough-and-tumble Irish (or Irish at heart), go for the biggest splurge (and the most quintessentially “March in Boston” of them all): Beantown’s famed Dropkick Murphys. This St. Patrick’s Day season, the rock outlet has 3 shows planned for the HOB with the Revilers, Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls. You’ll earn yourself the “Best Girlfriend Ever” badge with ease, and you’ll probably have a blast, too: their concerts are infamous for a reason!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.