This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The Boston Marathon is an annual marathon run by Bostonians. People from all over the country and the world come to participate in the race or  just cheer the racers on. The race brings about 500,000 people every year, making it New England’s most viewed sporting event. Unfortunately, five  years ago, the infamous race was struck by tragedy when a bomb went off near the finish line and injured 264 people and killed three. The popular race that gave people a sense of hope and motivation soon sparked fear in many. This year, as I was walking down near Copley Square, I kept seeing yellow daffodils. It did not hit me until I kept walking for blocks and saw that they were placed all over the  streets, the Boston Public Library shops, restaurants, etc. that they were to remember the lives lost and injured during the race in 2013. These flowers resemble hope and rebirth and most importantly, give a sense of support and community for those who cheer on the runners and show the bravery of those who keep running the race.

Emerson contributor