A Boston Girl’s Guide to Spring Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Springtime usually means bright colors and blooming flowers; and I’m not talking about the great outdoors, but the inside of your closet. Spring in Boston, however, challenges all we know about the seasons with enough wind, snow, and everything in between to push us right back into the winter blues. These tips will help keep your wardrobe on the right path to spring forward while staying prepared for any cold front that comes your way.

Don’t be afraid to mix and match. Leather and florals, lace and chunky knits, denim and corduroy, all of these pairings make for a match made in heaven when trying to stay warm but dress in the spirit of warmer weather. As long as you keep the focus on the more spring-like aspect of your outfit (a patterned dress, for example), then combining seemingly unlikely pieces from each season is a smart move that ensures your favorite spring look will still be a home run despite a few potential weather curveballs.

When in doubt, layers out. Nothing makes your outfit more invincible than a lot of layers; rain, wind, sleet, or shine, layers make it possible to stay cool or more typically in Boston, warm up. The best weapons to keep in your wardrobe arsenal? A decent sampling of sweaters, ranging from thinner shrugs to thick cardigans, and a few sturdy pairs of tights and leggings varying in color and texture. One trend that ‘s recently emerged from its 90’s-era grave is the tights-jean shorts combination, which is not only a great winter/spring transition tool (given the right pop of color), but is also versatile and can be dressed up or down.

A little statement jacket can go a long way. Though some trenchcoats (like the Anthropologie Pansy Corset trench shown above) can run a little high in price, the investment is beyond worth it But if you want to break out of the ordinary and turn this multi-season piece into something distinctly spring, go for floral prints and other fun patterns that offer a twist on the classic camel-colored design. And if trench isn’t your thing, opt for leather in a bright hue or a bomber with some flair. After all, if you find yourself needing to wear your jacket constantly on a dreary, stormy spring day, you want to walk into any building and be able to turn some heads and turn up the heat.

Blog Co-Editor and Staff Writer for HC Emerson. writer. shower singer. poet. IMDb buff. nail artist. cat & dog lover. fangirl. tennis player. die-hard Steelers fan. chef. moviehopper. Netflix addict.
Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.