This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Boston is a busy and costly city, and for a college student on a budget it can be hard to find things to fill your weekend with that won’t also drain your bank account. Yet, there’s still a way to pack your schedule with delicious eats and fun times while feeling great about not spending a fortune.

Discounted Dining 

One great thing about being a collegiette: student discounts. On Mondays, Fire and Ice hosts college night where you can order unlimited grill trip dinners for just $9.99, so make sure to bring your ID. On top of that, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, happy hour is in effect with certain appetizers ranging from $3 to $5. 

Always wanted to go eat at the iconic Cheers bar? Well, here’s your excuse! Cheers Boston offers half price appetizers Monday through Friday between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. Go with a group of friends, order a bunch of apps and enjoy the night without having to worry about breaking the bank. 

On the weekend it’s our time to take a break from grueling school work, so give yourself a break from dreaded dining hall food too. On Saturdays, the Pour House down Boylston Street offers half price burgers from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Not only are you treating yourself, but you’re treating your wallet as well! 

And for a snack, the Prudential Center’s Ben & Jerry’s will give you 10% off your yummy purchase with your college ID. 

Fiscal Yet Fun Attractions

Tours:

Duck Tours seem touristy but it is a Boston experience that is a must do, at least once. The Prudential Duck Tour location offers $6 off admission with your college ID. This option still is a little pricey at $28 but it is a do it once experience that can be splurged on. 

Venture right across the Commons after class and go to one of the free State House tours that take place weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  

We’ve all heard of the classic Freedom Trail tours and those of the many historical sites in Boston, so when looking for something different head on over to the Sam Adams Brewery at 36 Germania Street. The brewery offers free tours (donation to charity suggested) Monday through Saturday and a free complimentary sample for the 21 and over crowd.

Museums:

We all know that we can head on over to the Museum of Fine Arts for free, but another amazing museum that offers college students free admission is the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The museum features art, music and a beautiful courtyard garden. 

Then there’s the Boston Children’s Museum which offers hands on fun in comparison to the stuffy art museums we are all tired of. And, on Fridays from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m the museum’s admission drops to just $1. 

Attractions:

Sick of the city and want to see some wildlife? On the first Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. admission into the Franklin Park Zoo is cut to kids price, making it only $11! Miss the first Saturday of the month? Receive a $2 discount instead when presenting your Charlie Card.

For some free fun, visit all of Boston’s notable hot spots. Take a stroll along the Esplanade, pack a picnic for the Commons or Public Garden, go do some shopping (or window shopping) at Quincy Market, Washington or Newbury St., or the Prudential. 

Some not so well known free attractions include Boston University’s Coit Observatory which opens to the public Wednesday nights at 7:30 for some complimentary stargazing. 

There’s plenty of markets to visit around Boston to wander through, but the SOWA Open Market which runs May through October on Sundays in South End is one of the most diverse. You wont find yourself stopping by, looking at some fruit and natural cheese and being done in fifteen minutes. Instead, you’ll find yourself browsing for hours and grabbing a bite after. This is because the SOWA market is not just one market, it’s four: a vintage market, a farmers market, a food truck court, and an art market.

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor