Boston Ballet’s Le Corsaire Kicks Off 2016-17 Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The Boston Ballet kicked off their 53rd season with the North American premiere of Ivan Liška’s Le Corsaire at the Boston Opera House on October 27th. Le Corsaire (The Pirate) tells the story of the beautiful maiden Medora who has caught the attention of Pasha, a wealthy aristocrat determined to add her to his harem, and Conrad, the handsome pirate resolved to save her. Since its 1856 premeire, most recently Liška’s version of Le Corsaire was created for the Bavarian State Ballet in 2007. Liška enlisted dance historian Doug Fullington to decipher the choreography from its original Stepanov dance notation, which is housed in Harvard University Library’s Theatre Collection. 

“Le Corsaire hails from the golden era of classical ballet, and it hasn’t been in our repertoire for several years,” said Artistic Director Mikko Nissinen. “Liška’s production is magnificent, with opportunities for spectacular, virtuoso dancing; technically challenging roles for both men and women; and brilliant corps de ballet scenes with stylish costumes and sets.” 

Boston Ballet in Ivan Liška’s Le Corsaire; photo by Liza Voll, courtesy of Boston Ballet

Le Corsaire is loosely based on Romantic poet Lord Byron’s verse tale, The Corsair, which sold 10,000 copies on its first day of publication in 1814 and prompted several stage adaptations, including an opera by Verdi and numerous ballets. 

Act III is “like that special box of chocolates, lots of mouth-watering flavors and textures to suit every palate” (Alison Kent, Dance Europe), a highlight being the renowned Jardin Animé scene, as seen above, which features more than 20 Boston Ballet School students, giving these young students the opportunity to perform with professional Company dancers. 

With tickets starting at only $35, and 11 showtimes so close to campus, it’s easily accessible and affordable. Follow the conversation on social media @bostonballet #BBLeCorsaire.

Hey Collegiettes! I'm Jacqueline a senior at Emerson College. I'm a Journalism major and Political Communications minor at Emerson with hopes of working in freelance journalism with a focus in fitness and beauty! I'm a beauty blogger and a member of the InfluenceHer Collective, the Campus Correspondant for Her Campus at Emerson, am a High School Ambassador Advisor, and interned with Her Campus as a Blogger Network Management Intern in summer 2015.