Bookstore Bucket List: Western Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Local bookstores are everywhere, but in today’s day in age with Amazon’s empire, it’s hard for them to stay in business. While some stores have an online presence, for consumers, nothing compares to the speed and convenience of online shopping and free 2-day shipping. However, the locals are the ones who care most about you, which is why, while you are going home or visiting family around the United States, you should take a few minutes to pop in and buy a book at one of these local treasures. 

In this article, you will find bookstores located in the West! Looking for a different region? Find them here: 

Northeast

South

Mid-West

Alaska

Hearthside Books and Toys, Juneau

If you are looking for a classic, buy-all-your-books-here place, look no further. Not only is this the largest bookstore in Alaska, but it also has a wide selection of new bestsellers and Alaskan themed books. If you’re lucky, you may even find some advanced reading copies of books that have yet to be released! 

Old Harbor Books, Sitka

A longstanding store in Sitka, this bookstore has been around since 1976. If the books aren’t enough to bring you in, then the selection of treats and teas surely must. All of their treats are hand selected to help enhance the reading experience, which means its a must try! And, if you don’t see a book you like, they will make sure to order it for you at no additional charge (including free shipping!). 

Parnassus Books, Ketchikan

This bookstore is close to where cruises dock, so it is one of the easiest to get to when visiting the city! This bookstore combines Alaskan themed books with world literature, and it’s been around since 1985.

Arizona

Antigone Books, Tucson

Opened in 1975, this bookstore has been serving the community of Tucson for a long time. The store’s namesake is a character from Greek Mythology known for standing her ground against male authority figures. Through the ownership has changed hands, Antigone is still a great place to go and look for your next favorite book. 

Enchanted Chapters, Phoenix

Enchanted Chapters is a youth oriented store, but they do have a small selection of adult titles in both fiction and non-fiction. Make sure to stop by the next time you’re in Phoenix to meet Bellatrix (Bella), the book-loving sphinx named after one of our favorite Harry Potter Villains.

Bisbee Books & Music, Bisbee

This bookstore is the perfect stop for the whole family, since they have a wide selection of titles in addition to a selection of musical instruments. They also have plenty of CDs, vinyls and games that you can check out as well. 

Bright Side Bookshop, Flagstaff

This bookstore prides itself on being a community hub for locals and visitors alike. In the wake of Amazon and large book chains, their store has been dwindling in recent years, however, the owner’s passion for books and their community help to drive this little indie on. 

California 

Sleepy Cat Books, Berkley

This bookstore offers an array of books in fiction and non-fiction in both classic literature and contemporary. Their mantra is “Read a book. Pet a cat. Save the world,” which is you ask me, are words to live by. Make sure to stop in to meet their two sleepy furry friends, Lyla and Oliver! 

Abril Books, Glendale

This bookstore specializes in Armenian books, music, and more. And, if you’re a writer, they also offer printing and publishing services! They have been serving this specialized market for over 40 years.

A Whale of a Tale Children’s Bookshoppe, Irvine

This children’s bookstore is the perfect place to stop to find a book for any little ones in your life. They have been serving the community in Irvine for over 20 years, and have donated some of their profits to childrens’ charities and hospitals to help people in need. 

The Last Bookstore, Los Angeles

The Last Bookstore, a name chosen ironically but becoming more and more true with each passing day of Amazon’s sales, is one of the biggest indie bookstores in the world. On their two floors, they have over 250,000 titles available for browsing. If this isn’t enough for you, then you can also check out their extensive music and graphic novel collection. 

Beers Books, Sacramento 

Though it has been through a variety of locations, Beers got its start selling new and used books way back in 1936. Though the stores name sounds strange, it is actually named after Nellie Beer, who worked as a clerk in a local bookstore. The bookstore, then named L. H. Mytinger Books, changed its name to Beers Book Store after her. 

Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego

This store specializes in genre fiction, so if you are a lover of science fiction, mystery, fantasy, young adult, horror, or romance, then this is the perfect place for you to stop. The store has been operating since 1992, and they love bringing author events to their store––which is how they are able to provide so many signed first editions of the books that they are selling. 

Alley Cat Books, San Francisco

This bookstore is a general interest store, which means that they have a little bit of everything.  Their staff is familiar with every book on the shelf, and they are happy to help you find the titles you are seeking. They even have a lot of the titles in Spanish as well as English. 

Colorado

Explore Booksellers and Bistro, Aspen

Located in Aspen, this store has been around for over 40 years, working to bring books to the local community. They have a wide selection of titles and all of which are tucked into the nooks and crannies of their store, which is an old Victorian style home. 

Innisfree Poetry Bookstore & Cafe, Boulder

If you love reading poetry, then this is the perfect stop for you in your travels. This bookstore is one of only three in the country to dedicate themselves solely to the sale of poetry books. 

The Book Rack, Denver

Located in Colorado’s capital city is The Book Rack, which opened in 1977.  This store is dedicated to the sale of paperback books, and have been since they opened their doors. 

BookBar, DenverAlso located in the capital city is the BookBar. This store was opened with one specific reader in mind––the one who also loves wine. If you are looking for a place to stay while you are in Denver, they even have an apartment upstairs that is available for rent. 

Covered Treasures Bookstore, Monument

This proud indie is located in Monument, where they have been for the past 25 years. They have a whole host of new and used books available for you to browse, so what are you waiting for? 

Hawaii

Nā Mea Hawaiʻi, Honolulu

This bookstore specializes in topics surrounding Hawaiian culture and teachings.  These books are paired with the works of local venders since this store really is all about their culture and spreading the knowledge of it. 

BookEnds, Kailua

This bookstore is a store with a dedicated staff to help you find the books that you are looking for. This store specifically specializes in both new and used books in a variety of genres! 

Idaho

Once and Future Books, Boise

Here you can search through a selection of new and used titles. If you want to trade in your old books, you can even get a store credit. If the store doesn’t need the title they you are selling back, they will still give you the credit and donate your copy to the local library. 

Chapter One Bookstore, Ketchum

This bookstore has been operating for over 40 years, and they love the cozy, historic atmosphere that their presence has created in their store and in their community. The staff here is always willing to go the extra mile, so be sure to stop in and pay them a visit.

Vanderford’s Books and Office Products, Sandpoint

This store has been proudly serving their community for almost 40 years, and they don’t intend on going anywhere anytime soon. In addition to their children’s books and regional titles, they also carry an entire line of office supplies. 

Montana

This House of Books, Billings

Community-owned and operated, this store offers customers a chance to partake in the decisions of the store and own a piece of it. This participation in the success of the store means a lot to the local community and helps establish This House of Books as a community center and cultural hub for the city. 

Montana Book Company, Helena

This bookstore was opened in 1978 and has been supporting the Helena community every since with their titles. They are open every day of the week, so feel free to stop by any day to view their collection of children’s literature and more! 

Nevada

Copper Cats Books, Henderson

This used bookstore is the only one in Henderson and is filled with a variety of books in a multitude of genres. This store prides itself on its eclectic mix of titles, so stop in and take a look around.

Bauman Rare Books, Las Vegas

This store specializes in locating rare books for serious collectors. Once you arrive, you will have the personal attention of a rare books expert, who will help you find the book you are looking to add to your collection. If you have never been in a rare book store, I highly recommend it because even if you don’t purchase anything, the books they have are always super interesting!

Sundance Books and Music, Reno

Sundance Books and Music has been operating in Northern Nevada for over 30 years, and through the partnerships that they have, they are able to run a variety of events for the local community. They even have a frequent buyers club for their local regulars. 

New Mexico

Page 1 Books, Albuquerque 

Page 1 Books was opened in 1981, and has been locally owned and operated ever since. They specialize in new, used, and antiquarian books and will buy your used books to sell in their store! 

Collected Works Bookstore, Santa Fe

This store is filled with a large assortment of titles, and they are the current global distributor of Forrest Fenn books. They have been located in the city for 40 years, so take a moment to stop by and curl up near their fireplace with a new book!

Oregon

The Book Loft, Enterprise 

The bookstore has a lot to offer. Not only do they have a wide range of titles for you to browse, but they also have coffee for you to sip and local art for you to gaze at. This store is all about supporting their community, so be sure to stop in and support them! 

Browser’s Books, Albany

Browser’s is super environmentally friendly, using reusable products in both of their locations. This location specifically is almost entirely solar-powered as well.  They also offer a free book recycling program to the community. 

Powell’s Books, Portland

Powell’s is a sight to see for any book lover and should absolutely be on your bookstore bucket list. This gigantic bookstore spans an entire city block, so if you can’t find what you are looking for, it probably doesn’t exist. Powell’s focuses on promoting diverse perspectives and supporting their community with their array of used and new titles. 

Escape Fiction Bookstore, Salem

This bookstore is full service, which means they provide a wide variety of new and used titles in a variety of different genres and forms. They take a lot of special orders, so they have gotten pretty good at getting the books out to people. Books typically arrive the next day, however, if you order after 11:55 on Thursday, through close on Saturday, your book will arrive on Monday.  

Utah

Back of Beyond Books, Moab

This Moab store specializes in natural history, environmental literature, southwestern guidebooks and maps, Native American books, and Western history, with the added bonus of books in science, philosophy, and current affairs. You can also find a lot of rare books and one-of-a-kind treasures.

Weller Book Works, Salt Lake City

This bookstore was established way back in 1925 and is still proudly serving their community today. They have gone through many name changes, changes in ownership, and even a fire that burned through almost their entire building. Weller Book Works has a wide variety of used, new, and rare books. 

Washington 

Magnus Books, Seattle

Magnus books is located in Seattle’s university district where they have been since they opened in 1978. If there was a bookstore with a reputation for buying and selling used books, this would be it! 

Vault Books & Brew, Castle Rock

This cozy store offers a wide assortment of both new and used titles, so there is always something to look out for. They also have a playroom for young kids to enjoy while their parents browse.

Main Street Books, Monroe

This independent bookstore was opened in 1997 and loves hosting events for the local community. This used bookstore offers some new titles by local authors, and most of their used books are under $10! 

The Elliott Bay Book Company, Seattle

This multi-level store is full service and has over 150,000 titles to choose from. They have been operating for the past four decades, and after a recent move in 2010, the store is unparalleled in scheduling author events for the community. 

Wyoming

Wind City Books, Casper

Wind City Books has a large selection of both local and regional book in their 10,000 book catalog. In addition to these close-to-home titles, the bookstore also carries and assortment of non-fiction, fiction, and children’s titles. If you can’t find the book you are looking for in their store, they will happily find it for you! 

Whistle-Stop Mercantile Books, Douglas

This bookstore specializes in books about the West, most of which are written by local or regional writers. In addition to their local books, they have a decent selection of titles in both new and used formats in fiction, non-fiction, and children’s books. 

While this list of books is pretty extensive, this list doesn’t even begin to cover the local bookstores found in these cities, states, or around the country. Please take the time to support your local bookstore, because they may not be there much longer if you don’t. Most of the bookstores (if not already common knowledge) in this article were located through NewPages’ Guide to Independent Bookstores. For more information about bookstores closer to you and not highlighted here, please feel free to reference Newpages’ website. 

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.