Best Performances of the American Music Awards 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The 2014 American Music Award were filled with some great and not-so-great performances this year. The 2014 American Music Awards had a variety of performers this year and were so fun to watch as always, so re-live the night of the AMAs and check out these 5 performances that were some of the best!

5 Seconds of Summer – “What I Like About You”

Thank god for 5 Seconds of Summer’s performance of “What I Like About You” during the AMAs. While 5SOS could have chosen to grace us with their overplayed hits like “Amnesia” and “She Looks So Perfect,” playing a 1980s hit from The Romantics really livened up the AMAs and created a nice break from overplayed radio hits. 

Sam Smith ft. A$AP Rocky – “Not The Only One

Sam Smith’s performance of his new hit, “Not The Only One” was purely about his music and it was beautiful. No fancy set needed. Sam Smith delivered a great performance full of soul and while A$AP Rocky is not usually featured in “Not The Only One,” he added to the song, making it even more enjoyable than Sam Smith’s original version. 

Lorde – “Yellow Flicker Beat” 

Lorde definitely did not fail to bring her weirdness, dancing, and hair flips to her performance of “Yellow Flicker Beat” at the AMAs. Without even singing a current main stream hit, Lorde was so interesting to watch and because of her amazing vocals and raw performance, “Yellow Flicker Beat” is sure to be high up on the charts in no time. 

Imagine Dragons – “Bet My Life” 

Since Imagine Dragons’ breakout in 2012 with hits like “It’s Time,” “Radioactive,” and “Demons,” we’ve been waiting to hear new hits from their new and highly anticipated album. Imagine Dragons’ newly released hit, “Bet My Life” will be a part of their second album set to release in early 2015 and with their upbeat and literally explosive performance on the AMAs, we should be hearing many more new Imagine Dragons hits on the radio in the next few months.  

Ariana Grande – “Problem” “Love Me Harder” Breakfree” 

The world can’t seem to get enough of Ariana Grande lately, so it’s only natural that she perform at the AMAs. While she has been blowing up every radio station and making appearances on every award show in existence (even the CMAs), her performance on the AMAs was one of her best. No one can deny that she has one of the best voices out there right now and her medley performance was unlike her usually upbeat, pop performances and instead authentic and personal. 

Emerson contributor