The Best of Boston: Valentine’s Day Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Just because Boston’s nickname has to do with beans, doesn’t mean we can’t be romantic! With its culture and history, Boston can be one of the most romantic cities in the country. But fear not my single ladies, we also cater to those without romantic partners. Here are the best ways to celebrate your relationship or your independence this Valentine’s Day!

For the Romantic:

Take a spin on the ice! Gliding around the Boston Common’s Frog Pond is a winter tradition. The Frog Pond offers couples a chance to spin, twirl and hold each other tight. Share a hot drink to warm up at the café. Clocking in at less than $25, this will be a wallet-friendly night out.

Be an art critic. There is something breathtaking about seeing priceless works of art in settings as beautiful as the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Valentine’s Day is a great time to escape the cold for the warmth of your sweetheart’s hand as you wander amongst the artwork. As Emerson students, we also get free admission to the MFA. Having a great time on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean having to break the bank.

Go to the top! Head to the top of the Prudential Center and look out over the city. The penthouse is home to a museum, bar, and restaurant, so you won’t be bored. Unmatched views of Boston await you and your special someone. At night, the lights of Boston twinkle below you. If you need more persuasion, The Top of the Hub was voted one of the “Best Places to Kiss” in Boston!

Not into the romance? Lucky for you, there are many events perfect for the anti-romantic.

Get your flirt on. Attend Boston’s Flirt Fest: Boston’s Sexiest Anti-Valentine’s Day Party. Featuring a best and worst pickup line contest and the crowing of Boston’s Biggest Flirt, this event is sure to be wild! Find out more details here: http://www.bostoneventguide.com/flirtfest.htm.

Sing it! There are only three rules for the Black Valentines Open Mic Night at Bristol Studios: “no love songs, no sappy duets, and no crying.” Blow off some steam on the eve of Valentine’s Day by belting out your favorite girl power song.

Guide the plot of Twilight. At “My Dark Love: An Improvised Teen Gothic Romance!” the ImprovBoston cast performs the entire saga from Bella and Edward’s meeting to the monster-human offspring. The two characters are assigned random monsters when an audience member spins a wheel. Only $12 for students!

Shannon is a journalism major at Emerson College, where she is involved in many different organizations ranging from social media and writing to fashion and styling. Originally from New Hampshire, she loves Boston and one day wants to work for a news station in either Boston or New York City.
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.