Bands My Little Sister Likes (And I Secretly Like Too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Think it’s shameful to still have your favorite *NSYNC song on your iPod? Shake off your embarrassment, because there’s a new batch of boy bands capturing our hearts. Gone are the days when Justin Timberlake’s hair resembled uncooked ramen noodles; the days when it might not have been OK to be crushing on Nick Jonas because he wasn’t 18 yet; and, yes, gone are the days of Bieber Fever.

It’s 2012, and our airwaves are filled with the girl-power anthems of Katy Perry and the dubstep stylings of Skrillex. There’s no room on our Billboard charts for 5 extremely cute boys cooing to thousands of preteen girls – or is there?

A single glance at Billboard’s Hot 100 chart, and you’ll notice “Glad You Came” by The Wanted at number 3, sandwiched between the likes of fun. and Nicki Minaj.

Boy bands like The Wanted, One Direction and Big Time Rush are taking America by storm – if we consider America to be the same audience currently flooding theaters for midnight premieres of The Hunger Games and Twilight movies. Even though Justin Bieber just released his new song, “Boyfriend” (which, in my personal opinion hails the second coming of Justin Timberlake circa his “Justified” era), he may not live up the new standard set by tween girls across the malls, middle schools and slumber parties of America.

Mania aside, these boy bands churn out catchy, wonderfully manufactured, radio (and sometimes club) friendly hits. They’re absolutely adorable, LEGAL (no more creepy countdowns to their 18th birthdays!) and, perhaps, best of all, some of them are from across the pond! Who doesn’t love a cute accent?

The Wanted

Who they are: Five guys who hail from England and Ireland. Launched in late 2009, the boys have worked with Taio Cruz and other producers to form a distinctive “Ibiza-ready” sound that makes for decent club music. They’ve also opened for Britney Spears on a few dates in the UK and Justin Bieber in Brazil.

Biggest Hit: “Glad You Came”, which is currently #3 on Billboard’s Hot 100. The video features the boys in a classy version of “Project X” in Ibiza, surrounded by a bevvy of gorgeous ladies all enamored by them.

Overall Cuteness Factor: 4/5 – The video for “Glad You Came” really makes them come off as sleazeballs who only care about partying in tropical locales and women with the bodies of Victoria’s Secret model. They ARE all pretty cute though, and it looks like there’s someone for everyone, regardless of your type!

Hottest Member: Max George, hands down. Between the shaved head (who knew that was a good look?!) and Justin Timberlake-esque falsetto, I’m hooked.

Big Time Rush

Who They Are: In a PR move that resembles what The Monkees did in the 1960s, Big Time Rush started as a television series on Nickelodeon. The plot follows the “Hollywood misadventures” of four hockey players from Minnesota who are selected to be in a boy band. They’re now managed by Nickelodeon Viacom Music as well as Columbia/Epic Label Group – phew! That’s a lot of producers behind this band. Much like iCarly and Victorious, the show/album model was developed to sell, sell, SELL. As manufactured as this band is, they’re still pretty likeable. The boys were last seen covering Beatles songs in their movie Big Time Movie, which was released earlier this month.

Biggest Hit: “Worldwide”, whose video looks like direct copy of Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way”

Overall Cutness Factor: 3/5 – They’re pretty clean cut and all-American, which gives them pretty faces but pretty goofy personalities. The fact that their TV show is geared towards much younger audiences is also kind of a turn-off.

Hottest Member: Logan Henderson, if I had to pick, but only because he looks a lot like Daniel from Revenge.

One Direction

Who They Are: Five guys, one direction. This group of guys were runners up on the original UK version of The X Factor and – you guessed it – are managed by Simon Cowell. Each one auditioned for the show separately, until the ex-Idol judge rounded them up to form the band. Earlier this year, the boys embarked on their first North American tour with aforementioned Big Time Rush. Later this year, One Direction will play at Nickelodeon’s Kid Choice Awards and Saturday Night Live, and launch their American tour from April to July of this year.

Biggest Hit: Here in the States, it’s “What Makes You Beautiful”, which was launched on Valentine’s Day. The video is like a Hollister store come to life, with the boys frolicking with much more age-appropriate girls on the beach. Plus, it’s SO CATCHY!

Overall Cuteness Factor: 5/5 – Not only are they are extremely good-looking, they’ve proven to be very funny through their X Factor video diaries. Good look AND a sense of humor? We’re sold!

Hottest Member: Yours truly would go with Zayn Malik, but the overall consensus is that Harry Styles is the fan favorite. Look at that hair – it could rival the Biebs’ original swoop!

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.