Awesome Restaurants To Take Your Family Over Parent’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Next weekend, Emerson and its surrounding area will be crawling with visiting families here to celebrate Parent’s Weekend. While the DH and Em Cafe will be open and running all weekend, they are not exactly the most impressive dining options. With all the buzz and chaos on campus, getting away from campus for a meal or two is the perfect way to catch up with your fam while introducing them to different parts of the city. I’ve taken the liberty of putting together a list of my favorite Boston eateries, all of which offer great deals to students and are sure to satisfy your parents’ palettes.

1. The Breakfast Club (Allston)

If your mom is anything like mine, she looooves a good brunch. Wake up early on Sunday, load up a couple of Charlie cards for the fam, and hop on the green line to Allston where you can find The Breakfast Club. A classic diner with added 1980’s nostalgia, The Breakfast Club welcomes students to eat as a Jock, Princess, Criminal or Basket Case with a staggering menu of omelettes, benedicts, pancakes, milkshakes, French toast, burgers, sweet potato fries and more.  This hidden gem on Western Ave. also boasts creative seasonal specials, like this fall’s Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes and Pumpkin Pie Milkshake, plus ample parking (seriously!), and a “Breakfast Bucks” loyalty card, all at an affordable price.  Open daily for breakfast and lunch.

2. Shake Shack (Harvard Square)

Is dad a burger and beer kind of guy? Head over to Harvard Square to have him try Shake Shack’s signature all-natural burgers, flat-top dogs, frozen custard, hand-cut fries and exclusive ShackMeister Ale®.  Your parents will be thrilled to know that Shake Shack hosts College Night on Thursdays:  show a valid college ID and receive a free order of fries with any food purchase. And don’t forget check out their unique menu items and give your fam a taste of Cambridge pride: Crimson Red Velvet or MInT Chocolate Concretes are served up as a tasty way to end your meal. Take them to go as your mother window shops and you show off this beautiful part of your new city!

3. Area Four and A4 Pizza (Kendall and Union Square)

Burgers aren’t your thing but you still want to introduce your family to the magic of Cambridge? Head to one (or both!) of these pizza spots for a great meal and some family fun. 

Area Four

Coffee, pizza and beer – Area Four gives you no reason to leave! Its café (directly attached to the restaurant) boasts some of the leading roasters from around the country and serves as the perfect study spot for those looking to get away from campus for a quiet cup o’ Joe. Pop next door to the restaurant for freshly made, wood-fired pizzas loaded with fresh toppings, a taste of their knock-out garlic knots and a cold beer – always a winning combination. The long tables that accomodate big groups (or your sibling’s friends who tagged along for the weekend) and the warm-weather lawn games make Area Four the perfect destination for some Parent’s Weekend eats.

A4 Pizza

Area Four’s sister restaurant in Union Square, the pizza joint is a must-try local spot for some of the best slices in the area (and in the country)! Styled in a modern industrial decor reminiscent of your grandfather’s garage, it’s every hipster’s (or this weekend, your father’s) pizza paradise stocked with enough beer to pair with every pie. 

4. Anna’s Taqueria (Coolidge Corner, Harvard St, MIT, Beacon Hill, Porter Square, Davis Square)

Craving some quality mexican food? Show your parents that you’ve already become a Boston expert and take them to one of our most beloved burrito joints: Anna’s. Anna’s Taqueria is a Boston dining institution and a right-of-passage for all new Boston students, especially because the chain’s six locations are conveniently located near several campuses and T stops. Anna’s comforting menu of mission-style burritos, tacos, quesadillas and nachos is all under $10, making delicious Mexican street food a perfect fit for your wallet (and will definitely qualm your parent’s budgeting worries!). Added appeal: you can follow Anna’s on social media to enter to win free burrito cards: Facebook.com/Annastaqueriaboston or @AnnasBoston.

No matter what kind of food you’re in the mood for, or what neighborhoods in Boston you want to show off to your family this weekend, we’ve got you covered. Ditch the dining hall and take advantage of your parents being in town for an entire weekend by hitting all 4 of these amazing restaurants for a complete city (and culinary) tour of your beloved new home!

Ameara Harb is currently a senior at Emerson College, pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She interns on the Restaurant, Travel, and Hospitality PR team at Marlo Marketing/Communications, and loves being CC for Her Campus's Emerson branch. She's a Disney fanatic, diehard Bruins fan, and can never turn down pizza.