This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A typical undergraduate career is eight semesters—if you’re lucky. For current sophomores and above, we’re entering our third semester of school in a pandemic. Our third semester of online classes, missed parties, and cancelled events. Of course, this is only what the fortunate are missing out on. COVID has taken an unbelievable toll on the world. In the grand scheme of things, a college student is nowhere near the worst thing to be right now. However, it has its detriments.

Every aspect of college life, from academics to socialization, is diminished beyond belief. Classes were shoddily shifted online with haste to accommodate the current state of things, and many syllabi are only now being fully adjusted to include as much content as an in-person semester did. While many students are greatly appreciative of the opportunity to continue their studies, it’s hard to deny that a lot is missing from online education. There are very few classes that are adequately able to offer the same content as they do in person. This is not to say anything of the classes or professors themselves, but rather the platform they are (rightfully) forced to use. Not to mention, many students are stuck taking virtual classes in the middle of the night or early in the morning due to time zone differences between their school and where they are now taking classes.

Elbow tap
Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels

Students across the country attempt to continue making the connections (both professional and personal) they would have during normal times, but it’s difficult. Reaching out to get the number of the person sitting next to you went from a regular request to a loud proclamation everyone can hear as your voice attempts to bridge the six-foot gap between you.

Internships everywhere are canceled or moved online. A generation of students will lack the professional development necessary to succeed in their fields. Of course, it’s still worth trying to find something, but many industries are at a loss for taking on interns at this time.

It’s tough to fathom mourning “the best four years of your life” when there is so much more going on that needs mourning. It’s only reasonable to assume that come a return to some sense of normalcy, students of all ages who missed out on the college experience will yearn to replace those years. We may see a generation of college graduates throwing parties like they’re in school. Or worse, we may see a generation of more young adults than ever working low-paying jobs and unpaid internships in an effort to gain the experience they couldn’t while actually in school.

But for now, the prime years of our lives remain on pause. For everyone’s sake, we must continue to attend classes from our dorm rooms, turn down party invites from less cautious peers, and trudge through virtual internships. After all, not just anyone can say they spent their college years saving lives by staying inside.

Grace is a sophomore Business of Creative Enterprises student at Emerson College from New York and North Carolina. She’s passionate about theatre, television, writing, and fried chicken.
Emerson contributor