Andrew Coalson: Eat, Pray, Love, Comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Andrew Coalson is a Junior Writing for Television major who eat, sleeps and breathes comedy. As president of Emerson Comedy Workshop for three semesters he’s accomplished many things during his college career. Recently he was one of the four finalists for Rooftop National College Comedy Challenge where Emerson advanced to quarterfinals this past Sunday. You can go help Emerson College defeat Boston University during voting April 18th-20th at http://www.rooftopcomedy.com/college/ so they can they can advance to semifinals and have a chance to perform in Chicago’s Just For Laughs Festival.

HCEmerson: When did you start performing and getting into comedy?

Coalson: I started in May 2010 doing stand-up and open mic in Richmond, VA which there was a surprisingly decent amount of talented comics back home.

HCEmerson: Whens the next Emerson Comedy Workshop performance?

Coalson: ECW’s next sketch show will be Friday, April 27th in the Little Building Cabaret. Its going to be a great show and there’s a lot of new and funny original sketches.

HCEmerson: How would you describe your comedy style and what do you want to accomplish in the future?

Coalson: My style is weird. I just try to take an irrational thought and then take it as far as it can go–I like to keep it silly and weird, and not weird for the sake of weird but to create a new ground of thought for the audience. I really just want to get paid to make people laugh.

HCEmerson: If you weren’t doing comedy what would you be doing?

Coalson: I’d probably be really boring; ideally working at a very stable job for life insurance…telling people whether or not they can live–I like power.

HCEmerson: What do you hope to do if Emerson wins the competition and moves on to perform in Chicago?

Coalson:  Spread the funnies, make the monies, network a bunch.

HCEmerson: Any final thoughts?

Coalson: Eat, Pray, Love, Comedy. You don’t have to pray, but you really should eat.

Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.