And the Award Goes To… An 86th Annual Academy Awards Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The bright lights, the stars, the glitz, and the glamour: The Oscars did not disappoint last night. Ellen charmed the audience with her witty humor and even broke a record for most retweeted tweet. She also broke Twitter. 

Ellen even served members of the audience pizza, as she thought they looked hungry. 

She was a terrific and entertaining host this year!

The first award of the night was given to Jared Leto for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Dallas Buyer’s Club. For best supporting actress, the award was given to Lupita Nyong’o for her performance in 12 Years a Slave.

Best Actress went to Cate Blanchette for her role in Blue Jasmine, while Best Actor went to Matthew Mcconaughey for his performance in Dallas Buyers Club.

Best Adapted screenplay went to John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave and Best Original Screenplay went to Spike Jonze for Her.

12 Years a Slave was also given the prestigious award of Best Picture. 

Animation awards were given to Mr. Hublot for Best Animated Short and Disney’s Frozen for Best Animated Feature.

Gravity won a total of seven awards last night including Best Director (Alfonso Cauron), Cinematography, Film Editing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Sound Mixing, and Sound Editing.

Best Live Action Short Film went to Helium and the Best Foreign Film went to The Great Beauty. Best Production Design was given to The Great Gatsby.

Other highlights of the night included when Pharell sang his upbeat tune, “Happy,” from the animated film Despicable Me 2. It was a light, carefree performance, with people of all ages dancing in colorful retro costumes.

Pink gave a haunting performance of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” to commemorate the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz.  She received a well-deserved standing ovation.

Ellen even dressed up as the good witch, Glinda, to join in on the occassion.

The graceful Bette Midler sang a moving tribute song, “The Wind Beneath My Wings,” dedicated to all who were included in the “in memoriam” portion of the show.

Idina Menzel offered a chilling rendition of her song “Let It Go” from Disney’s award winning animated feature Frozen. The song also won Best Original Song!

This was a truly fantastic 86th annual Academy Awards!

Alexandra is a senior at Emerson College studying writing, literature, and publishing.
Emerson contributor