9 Ways to Study “Abroad” at Emerson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you haven’t heard it by now, let me be the one to tell you – we own a 14th-century castle in the Netherlands. Yep, if you ever need to brag to your friends at other colleges, I can guarantee that you can one-up them with this fun fact.

The truth is that the Kasteel Well is just one of Emerson’s great study abroad programs – or should I say study “elsewhere” programs, as many are located here in the United States. While international study isn’t one of Emerson’s selling points, it is something that the college can offer. If you’re at all interested in study abroad or external programs, check out this list of options!

1. Emerson College Los Angeles

The recently revamped satellite campus in Los Angeles is popular among juniors and seniors across a range of majors.  The ELA program is aimed to give students a new environment to test their skills and thrive in. Students usually take two or three classes in addition to a 4 or 8-credit internship in their chosen field.

The ELA program is complete with a variety of courses in marketing, journalism, theatre, writing, and visual media arts. The ELA program faculty are also experts at hooking students up with internships; since its inception, it has provided more than 5,000 Emerson students with internships. 

If you’re a junior or senior looking to gain some real hands-on experience, break into the entertainment industry, or just wanting a change of scenery, consider giving the ELA program application a shot. The online application for Summer 2015, Fall 2015, and Spring 2016 will be available on October 1st.

2. China Exchange Program

Because Emerson doesn’t have the resources to send its students all over the globe, it makes specific partnerships with other institutions in order to allow you to get the experience you’re looking for. One of these partnerships is with Communication University of China – Beijing, a well-known university that focuses on radio, television, film, network, and new media communication.

If you’re interested in immersing yourself in a new culture while continuing your academic studies, consider the China Exchange Program. Students in the program take media classes in English and complete a course in Mandarin Chinese. The university offers Western-style living quarters and classes across multiple fields of study.

If you’re a sophomore, junior, or first-semester senior with a GPA of 2.7 or higher, you can apply to be one of the select two students that are admitted into the program with CUC. The China Exchange Program is open to all majors and is available during the Fall semester.

3. Prague Summer Film Program

If you like your life at Emerson but are a little curious about the world outside of Boylston and Tremont Streets, you should give the summer programs a look. Each summer, Emerson College offers a rewarding and unique film experience in Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic. Prague has an esteemed film history, great historical beauty, wonderful film locations, and well-preserved architecture – so naturally it’s a good place for dedicated film students to visit during a summer off campus.

Prague summer film students are registered for two classes when they go abroad: Czech Film History and Prague Film Program Cinematic Language Course, which fulfill 4 credits of elective and 4 credits toward the media studies requirement. Along with their course load, students will participate in managing production training, class lectures, group excursions, and everyday life in the city of Prague.

The Prague program is open to 20 sophomores, juniors, seniors, and grad students with a minimum GPA of 3.0. This prestigious program requires an interview in the application process – and a background in film or production doesn’t hurt. The program is pretty sought after, so get on the application as early as possible. The online application for 2015 will be open in November.

4. Kasteel Well

So back to this 14th-century castle. If you dreamt of spending your days at Hogwarts instead of high school, this is your chance. The Kasteel Well program, often referred to as “the Castle,” is a unique opportunity to experience Emerson academics in a completely different environment. The 85 students that are submitted into the program spend three months taking Emerson courses, travelling, and getting to know their fellow Emersonians in a new atmosphere.

Courses at the Castle differ each semester (and summer), but you can expect to find some classes that you can find in Boston and some that are geared to your new environment. Though there are plenty of major-specific courses, the Castle is a great place to knock off those pesky gen-ed requirements. Not only that, but the Castle is a great opportunity to travel Europe on the weekends with other students.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors (all majors except Musical Theatre) are all invited to apply for the Kasteel Well program, though sophomores and juniors will find it more fitting to their academic career. Applicants can only apply for one semester per year, and participants are selected by random lottery by major – meaning that you may end up on a wait list within your major. The application for Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 will be available on October 1st.

5. Screenwriters Lab in Greece

Emerson’s summer Screenwriters Lab program on the island of Patmos, Greece, is basically an Emersonian’s dream. What could be better than spending three weeks on a remote island in Greece, creating stories and honing your skills?

The Screenwriters Lab is another one of Emerson’s summer programs, this time taking place in Patmos, Greece, located off the west coast of Turkey. In addition to their screenwriting lab taught by Professor Jean Stawarz, students participate in group excursions (including a trip to the Patmos International Film Festival) explore the island’s wild beaches, remote tavernas, blue coves, rocky mountain pathways and the stylish city of Skala, its harbor town.

The Screenwriters Lab program is open to ten juniors and seniors in the VMA and WLP departments who hold at least a 3.0 GPA. In addition to the standard applications, students are required to submit a film or TV writing sample and undergo an interview with Jean Stawarz.

6. Berklee Valencia Program

Emerson College and Berklee College of Music (right down the street) collaborate in a number of ways, one of them being study abroad programs. The Berklee Valencia program gives Emerson students an opportunity to take a full course load of transferrable Berklee courses in the unique setting of Valencia, Spain at Berklee’s satellite campus.

The Berklee Valencia program offers a wide range of courses in business, marketing, performance, writing, production, liberal arts, Spanish, and of course music. Students live on the Berklee Valencia campus in their choice of a single or double room with a private bath.

If you’re interested in taking your studies abroad and find yourself liking the sound of Berklee’s program in Spain, apply now! The application is now open for the Spring 2015 term, which runs from early January to early May. The program is open to sophomores, juniors, and first-semester seniors with at least a 2.0 GPA.

7. External study abroad programs

Since Kasteel Well, Berklee Valencia, or the China Exchange program may not suit all your preferred requirements for a study abroad program (price, location, classes, etc.), Emerson gives you other options. Not only are you able to go abroad with Emerson or its partner institutions, but you’re also allowed to look into almost any other US institution’s international programs.

As long as the program you’re thinking of is owned and operated by a regionally accredited U.S. educational institution or has an affiliation with one, you should be good to go. Make sure that you set up a meeting with David Griffin, Director International Study & External Programs, before you submit any applications. Mr. Griffin will direct you to a list of schools with good reputations for international programs, provide you with application materials, and help set you in the right direction.

8. Salzburg Global Seminar

The Salzburg Global Seminar, a summer program that takes place in Austria, is a relatively new addition to Emerson’s available external programs. Each summer, at least five Emerson students are selected to participate in this program, and study in Salzburg, Austria along with 55 other students and faculty from a broad range of universities located around the world.

Students in the Salzburg Global Seminar, supported by Emerson’s Engagement Lab, explore media literacy and global networks for innovation and engagement in digital culture. They hear from speakers in business, the arts, education, journalism, law, entertainment and advocacy groups from all different cultures. The program includes one 4-credit course titled “Global Media Literacy,” taught by Professor Paul Mihailidis.

If you’re interested in the Salzburg program, apply as soon as possible! Admission is rolling, so the sooner you apply, the better chance you may have. The program is open to students of all majors with at least 16 Emerson credits under their belt.

9. The Washington D.C. Program

For those proactive professionals in the Emerson community, there’s the prestigious Washington D.C. program., which offers students “the opportunity to spend a semester in the nation’s capital, focusing on the issues, processes, and decisions surrounding government, social advocacy groups, nonprofit organizations, business, economics and trade firms, law and criminal justice agencies, environmental organizations, arts and humanities institutions, education, media and communication organizations.” Now that’s a mouthful, but that’s how you know it will be rewarding.

Students accepted into this fall-only program will complete an 8-credit internship as well as 8 credits of academic courses. Courses range from communication, politics, and administration to international affairs, criminal justice, and research. The internships are focused in areas of communication, marketing, or journalism.

The Washington D.C. Program is open to juniors and seniors during the fall semesters. The application requires a resume, a statement of professional interest, an essay, and letters of recommendation. The application can be found online at The Washington Center’s website.

While Emerson tends to be a niche school, it’s certainly open-minded to the possibility of study abroad and external programs. Surely whatever you’re looking for in an external program, you’ll be able to find at the college, with one of its partner schools, or within another institution approved by Emerson. Now get on those applications!

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Emerson contributor