This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Looking for some good books to read this Halloween season?  Look no further!  Whether you are searching for a novel that will make you afraid to turn the lights off, or just want a book that captures the atmosphere of fall, this list is sure to have something you’ll love.  

1. The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

The Halloween Tree tells the story of a boy named Pipkin who is whisked away by an unidentified entity on Halloween night.  Led by a hulking figure called Mr. Moundshroud, Pipkin’s eight friends travel through time and space to rescue him.  Their journey leads them through a funeral procession in ancient Egypt, witch-hunts during the Dark Ages, and much more.  Full of adventure and eerie, poetic prose, the book explores the origins and history of Halloween with creativity and spirit.

2. The Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

This collection contains every poem, essay and story ever written by Edgar Allen Poe.  Poe is considered one of the most important figures in American literary history to date.  He is credited with inventing what the modern world considers “detective fiction,” and is known for his many mysteries and macabre tales.  Dark, poetic and illuminating, this collection allows you to glimpse into the mind of one of the most famous men to ever put pen to paper.

3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow does not need much of an introduction. An American classic, the book tells the famous story of Ichabod Crane’s encounter with the now iconic Headless Horseman. Over the years it has been adapted into numerous mediums and has inspired countless storytellers. Check it out and see what all the fuss is about!

4. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey

The Monstrumologist tells the story of a young orphan boy named Will Henry, who assists the peculiar Dr. Pellinore Warthorpe in his chosen field of study: monsters.  One night, when a particularly gruesome specimen is delivered to their home late at night, the two begin a dangerous chase across 19th century New England.  The book explores not only the creatures that hide in the shadows, but also the darkest desires of the human heart.  Readers should expect a hearty amount of blood, gore and adventure.

5. Salem’s Lot by Stephen King

Salem’s Lot is the story of a creepy town filled with deadly vampires.  Like most of Stephen King’s work, it is eerie and haunting— the kind of story you shouldn’t read after dark.  There are a number of other King books that could have easily made this list, such as Carrie, The Shining or It, but I chose Salem’s Lot because it is a bit less well known.  Besides, what’s Halloween without a healthy dose of vampires?

6. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Originally published in 1959, The Haunting of Hill House is regarded by many as a classic of horror literature.  It tells the story of paranormal expert Dr. Montague and his three assistants: Theodora, Eleanor, and Luke. The group undertakes a paranormal investigation that, on the surface, seems harmless.  As time passes, it becomes clear that the group has taken on more than they can handle.  Four people enter, but how many will leave?

7. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Love, magic, a mysterious circus that only appears at night — The Night Circus has it all.  There is no other way to describe this book than enchanting.  Its setting and tone perfectly encapsulate the essence of fall, and reading it will make you want to curl up by a fire with a mug of apple cider.  It is not scary so much as surreal, so the faint of heart need not worry.

8. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Nobody Owens has had an unusual childhood, to say the least.  Ever since the gruesome murder of his family when he was a child, Owens has lived in a graveyard and been raised and educated by its supernatural inhabitants.  Owens’ story is one of great adventure, but also of great danger, for if he ever tries to leave the graveyard, he will be hunted by the man who killed his family.  Magical and exhilarating, this book is not to be missed.  Check it out!

Melissa Close is from Waterford, Connecticut. She is majoring in Writing, Literature & Publishing at Emerson College.
Emerson contributor