betterjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
betterjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Kait DSouza
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Sometimes the end of a relationship is the end of the world. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever. Sometimes there was no relationship in the first place and the single life is all there is. Wherever on the spectrum, there’s a single life song for you and these seven are the best.

“Better By Myself” by Hey Violet

With a groovy backing beat and sassy lyrics, Hey Violet brings the single life with a bouncy song that celebrates independence.

Fave line of the song: “There may be something in the water / Over here in California’s / Got me feeling like I’m better off alone” ​

“I’m Like a Bird” by Nelly Furtado

There is no better metaphor for freedom from a relationship than birds and Nelly takes it to a whole new level with this soulful bop.

Fave line of the song: “You’re beautiful and that’s for sure / You’ll never ever fade”

“Truth Hurts” by Lizzo

Self-love queen Lizzo really serves up the tea with this anthem about being single and not caring about what anyone else thinks.

Fave line of the song: “I put the sing in single / Ain’t worried ’bout a ring on my finger”

“Put Your Records On” by Corinne Bailey Rae

Cute imagery and Corinne’s beautiful voice make this song a self-love anthem that is fun to sing along to with friends.

Fave line of the song: “I hope you get your dreams / Just go ahead, let your hair down / You’re gonna find yourself somewhere, somehow”

“Breakaway” by Kelly Clarkson

A total throwback with guitars and Kelly’s powerful voice, this song is perfect for really belting out how amazing it is to be single despite the pain of heartbreak.

Fave line of the song: “I’ll spread my wings, and I’ll learn how to fly / Though it’s not easy to tell you goodbye”

“Strip” by Little Mix

With powerful lines about self-love, Little Mix proves that there is no need for a significant other when you’re significant all on your own.

Fave line of the song: “Sexiest when I’m confident /You say I ain’t pretty /Well, I say, ‘I’m beautiful’”

“Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift

Professional in the field of heartbreak, Taylor really did that and wrote a bop about not letting heartbreak or other people get to you that is impossible not to dance to.

Fave line of the song: “But I keep cruising, can’t stop, won’t stop grooving”

Join the single life. We have good music and relationship-free drama.

Cats, spaghetti, and the Oxford comma.
Emerson contributor