This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

You’ve witnessed the chaos of first-year move-in, checked off all the events on your orientation schedule, and started making big group plans to grab pizza from the dining hall. Now is when reality starts to set in as you prepare for classes and navigate all the extracurriculars and opportunities that Emerson has to offer. It’s easy to get overwhelmed or feel confused, and sometimes you have to learn through trial and error. As someone who has made it out of freshman year alive, here are my tips that might save you from some of these mistakes.

Don’t take on too much at once.

Emerson has tons of exciting clubs and organizations to join, and after you take one step into Org Fair, you might find yourself getting a little too ambitious with your extracurricular involvement. Although it’s great to test out a few different activities to find what works for you, it’s easy to stress yourself out when you overcommit. Sometimes college feels like a competition to see who is doing the most, but do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Don’t be afraid of trying things alone.

I’m a naturally quiet person, and any social situation where I don’t have a familiar face nearby can seem terrifying. I’ve come to learn that regretting not trying something is much worse than the stress of not having a friend do it with me. There will be clubs, events, and opportunities that your friends may not be interested in, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t check them out yourself! You’ll meet new friends that you may have never known about if you didn’t try out the organization yourself. This advice can also apply to anything: you can go to the dining hall yourself, take yourself to your favorite store, or go on any solo adventure. Trust me, no one is judging you, especially in a busy city like Boston.

It’s okay to not be best friends with your roommate.

I had two older sisters go to college before me, and one of them shared a room with her longtime best friend, while the other ended up becoming good friends with the roommate she met at school. Naturally, I assumed my roommate and I would do everything together. This wasn’t the case. It’s okay if your roommate doesn’t end up becoming your friend, as long as you’re able to coexist in the same dorm space. Your living situation can feel even more cramped than it already is if you don’t try to get along.

Take advantage of study spaces.

Doing homework in bed is nice and all, but you’ll probably end up wanting to take a nap instead of being productive. The nice thing about Emerson is that there’s plenty of places to get work done, whether you like to fly solo or study in a group. Stop by the library, which has designated spaces for collaborating or peace and quiet, or book a study room for a bit more privacy. Check out the new student lounges and meeting spaces in 172 Tremont, which is planned to have late-night hours for all of us procrastinators. And if you don’t feel like venturing out, dorm common rooms can be a great place for a change of scenery while you work.

Ask for help when you need it.

College can be confusing! Don’t feel like you have to know all the answers or figure everything out by yourself. There are plenty of resources available to you that you should take advantage of. Meet with your advisor if you need help figuring out your academic plan, talk to your RA if you’re not living your best dorm life, or stop by Emerson Counseling and Psychological Services (ECAPS) if your mental health isn’t at its best. We’ve all been there, and we’re happy to make your transition to Emerson as smooth as possible.

Have fun!

Work hard, but remember to play hard, too. Go to school events that look fun, remember to make time for your friends, and take advantage of this cool city. As an Emerson student, you receive free admission to places such as the Museum of Fine Arts, Institute of Contemporary Art, and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Check out the Bright Family Screening Room in Paramount for free movie screenings on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and keep an eye out for advanced screening vouchers around campus. Also, Facebook is your best friend for finding cool events around the city: see what your friends are going to or find pages and groups that are publicizing their events.

This new chapter of your life might be scary, but you’re not alone. You will get out of Emerson what you put into it, so put yourself out there and make the best of these four years.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor