6 Essentials to Pack When Visiting a Friend in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Chances are you know what to pack when you’re returning home for break, but what about when you’re traveling to visit a friend who goes to a different college? Read on to find out what items you can’t leave behind in your dorm room.

1. Clothes for going out

For a trip that spans several days, I recommend bringing two to three pairs of jeans, a couple of crop tops, and a shirt or two that you would wear when going out to eat. You can definitely mix and match these items, giving yourself several options for outfits during the weekend. Going to a frat party? Out to dinner? Hanging around with your friend on campus? You’ll be prepared for all of the above!

2. A pair of old sneakers

There is nothing worse than going out for the night and having your favorite pair of shoes get ruined. Bring an old pair of sneakers, or any other shoes that you won’t mind getting stepped on and dirty. I usually opt for an old pair of Converse, because they are comfortable but also cute and will go with most outfits you might wear to a party. 

3. Leggings and a hoodie

For a lazy day in your friend’s dorm or a night in, you want to be comfortable. Bring your favorite hoodie and a pair of leggings to wear when you’re just hanging out or putting on a pair of jeans feels too painful. You can also wear these items while traveling to save space in your suitcase.

4. Shower shoes

We all know how gross dorm bathrooms can be, so don’t forget your shower shoes if your friend is living in a dorm with communal bathrooms. If your friend lives in a suite and has their own bathroom, bring a pair of flip flops to throw on when you get out of the shower. 

5. Toiletries and makeup

There will most likely be a drugstore nearby where you can purchase any of these essentials, but why spend more money? Make sure to pack your toothbrush, items for your skincare routine, and makeup if you usually wear it. 

6. Your student ID and driver’s license

It is always smart to have a form of identification on you, but in this case, you will most likely need it to get into your friend’s dorm. Forgetting these items will really put a damper on the whole weekend.

Have the best weekend and make a ton of memories!

Erin Renzi

Emerson '23

Erin is a junior studying journalism with a minor in publishing at Emerson College. She spends her free time in the gym, taking yoga and cycling classes, and trying out different restaurants and boba spots in Boston. Her obsession of Taylor Swift and cats make up a big part of her personality — and she's proud of that. Erin is an editor and writer for several publications on Emerson's campus and hopes to be a sex and relationships writer, style or beauty editor or music critic for a magazine in the future. Watch out, Cosmo!
Emerson contributor