This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The holidays can be stressful—especially on Thanksgiving. Everyone in the family comes together at one table, sometimes for the only time that year. Stories, politics, and petty disagreements pill on the table with turkey and stuffing like extra toppings.

The nose-tickling breeze of fall has trickled down your spine. The pumpkin spice posters have been pulled out onto every coffee shop window. Many places across the country have even seen a few flurries of snow (or more). 

Winter is upon us—and the traveling that comes with it. And even though I’ve never had a Christmas for myself, the songs and movies for the season seem to put everyone in the mood for the holidays. So whether you’re at home or on vacation, here are some non-traditional holiday movies to get you in the mood.

Trading Places (R)

This may not seem like the average winter mix movie, but that’s the reason it’s on this list. Trading Places is a classic rag to riches story, a wealthy stockbroker and homeless man switch places when frames by twins of the 1 percent for a $1 bet. With legendary comedians Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy starring in this ’80s classic, it’s firm a classic—especially this time of year. 

Watch Aykroyd dress up as Santa to break into a Christmas party and plant drugs on stockbrokers. Watch Jamie Lee Curtis as a not-so-glamorized Pretty Woman. Watch a gorilla hang out with scheming financier on a train during a plot to steal orange juice prices for the week. It is truly a wild comedy, with just enough of a holiday touch to keep your toes chill. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas (PG)

It’s a Halloween classic, but because it straddles the line between two favorite fall holidays, this movie is a great choice to curl up to (or watch while the younger cousins run around in circles). Great for the whole family to enjoy after a long meal that leaves you all cramming for comfy couch space and a good nap. 

The Holiday (PG-13)

There’s a bunch of debate whether or not this pick is a Christmas movie, but it definitely is a binge-worthy traveling romance. Cameron Diaz is a big-time Hollywood executive who heads for a quiet weekend in England after a messy breakup, while Kate Winslet leaves her English cottage for a much-needed change of pace. But unlike the first pick, they actually decide to switch places, agreeing online to switch homes for the week. This movie is endearing friendships, gorgeous sceneries, and possible romances, connecting unlikely friends and breathing new life into those who need it. If you haven’t already seen it, shame on you. If you have, you know what to do.

Catch Me If You Can (PG-13)

This is not exactly a Christmas movie. It features Leonardo DiCaprio as a con artist, pretending to be a lawyer, doctor, pilot, and more as he steals money from around the world, the FBI always trailing one step behind. Years pass and he begins to see Tom Hanks’ FBI detective character as his only friend, calling every Christmas to taunt him and catch up, everyone else in his life falling from his grasp because of his criminal activity. And when we see DiCaprio’s character watch his mother go on without him with her new wife at Christmas, we feel for him. We witness the sadness of winter.

Holiday in Handcuffs (PG)

Melissa Joanheart kidnaps Mario Lopez for holidays in a winter cabin with her family after her boyfriend breaks up with her. What could go wrong? A lot. But they also could find something in each other along the way, even after the police break down the doors by force. 

It’s a funny, heartwarming, and somehow relatable rom-com that will get you in the winter mood. Prepare to feel jolly.

Lilli is a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. This is her second year as a member of Her Campus and second as a Campus Trendsetter. Lilli is a senior journalism major at Emerson College with minors in fiction and women, gender, and sexuality studies. She's a bubbly Aries who loves to keep a busy schedule, but she always leaves enough room for food, friends, and curling up to watch HGTV. Follow her on Instagram @lillircohen
Emerson contributor