This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The idea of executing and wearing a bold lip can be quite intimidating. There’s so much that could go wrong: lipstick on your teeth, chapped and flaky lips, fading color, smudging around the edges, an unintended ombre effect. Yet, you shouldn’t be afraid to be bold. A glamorous bold lip can be perfected with practice and some must know tips. 

1. Prep

In order to have perfect bold lips you must cover all bases. First, to avoid flaking, apply lip balm. Let it sit, then blot to remove excess oils. 

2. Conceal and line

Lining your lips is a must for a defined line. There are multiple recommendations as far as lip liner shades go: both at opposite ends of the spectrum. You can either pick a neutral lip liner that’s similar to your natural lip color or one close to the shade of lipstick. Find your personal preference by trying out both methods. Concealer can be used to keep a defined line throughout the night. Apply concealer around your lip line to prevent color bleeding. Using concealer is also a way to make your lipstick pop: apply it on your lips beforehand to start of with a neutral template. 

3. Pick a compatible shade

The general rule for lipstick color compatibility is that blue-based shades complement those with fair skin tones, and orange-based shades complement those with warmer skin tones. Take this into consideration when picking a shade. Yet, if you totally love a shade and feel confident in it, go for it. Don’t be afraid to experiment. 

4. More prep

In order to keep an intense lip longer, apply a thin layer of translucent powder, to not only help your lip color stay put, but make it more vibrant. 

5. Bring backup 

Even with all the prep you’ve done and supposed “long-wear” lipstick, nothing ever really lasts. Touch-ups are a must. Bring the tools you’ll need in order to keep your bold lip lasting: blotting paper, your lipstick, lip balm, and concealer. 

Use these tips to rock a bold, fun and fearless lip!

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor