freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Tips for the Best Ice Skate Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We are inching into winter, which means that Boston’s Frog Pond has officially opened. I have been watching them set it up in the Common for weeks now, and I cannot walk past it without admiring it for at least a minute. 

One could say I’m an expert. I have been ice skating for 16 years and will probably skate for at least another 16 after this. It takes up most of my life, which can be a burden, but it is also one of my greatest sources of joy. That’s what draws me to Frog Pond, sewing that happiness on people’s faces as they shuffle around in a circle dancing to music, smiling in the cold. No one is trying to be amazing, they are just trying to have fun. 

Winter also means that it’s cuffing season, which just makes me think of how single I am, but that is not relevant to this conversation, it’s just sad. There are so many couples going on dates at Frog Pond every time I walk by. They hold hands, take pictures, tow each other to the boards and seem to be having a great time. Yet there are some couples who are really, really not having a good time. 

You don’t want your date to fail because of the location you picked when everything else should be going well. Dates should be fun, not end in an ER visit! So, here are some tips to ensure that skating with your partner enhances your date, and doesn’t tear it down.

1. Check the weather and times before you go

The rink is outdoors, which means whatever weather is happening outside is also happening at the rink. Plan accordingly. If it is going to be raining, don’t go! Especially since in the rain, Frog Pond may not even open. Also, in terms of opening in general, check if the rink will be open before you go. Don’t just pick a day and time and show up, you may be in for a disappointment. 

If you have other questions, here is the link to the website:

https://bostonfrogpond.com/winter-programs/pricing-season-passes/.

2. Wear appropriate clothing

If you thought this was common sense, you were wrong. I have seen people in miniskirts and no jackets just complaining the whole time they are cold. I get it, there is a certain aspect of wanting to impress the person you are going with, but if you don’t dress for the location you are going to, you wind up looking ridiculous and being miserable. If and when that person in a skirt falls, they will become even more cold, wet and possibly start bleeding from ice burn. Tip: bring gloves, as I have said before, it’s cold.  

3. Listen to the people who work there

There are people wearing neon yellow jackets skating around, called ice monitors, they are there to supervise the skaters and help anyone if needed. If they say something, don’t try to impress your date thinking you know better than them, just listen, the workers can kick you out! Also, the workers are there to help you if you need help, keep that in mind.

4. If you are worried about your skills, practice before you go

No one is expecting you to get on that ice and be an Olympian—that will not even cross into your date’s mind— although if you are, it’s a nice surprise. If you can sort of get around the ice in one piece, you’re fine. Anything more than that, and it will be impressive. 

If you are worried about your skills, then go once or twice before the date with some friends and practice a little on your own. This will help you be more prepared and you will be able to focus your anxiety on other parts of the date. 

5. Don’t show off if you can’t afford to

This one goes back to the outfit one. If you cannot skate to a reasonable ability, do not try to show off to your date. You may end up in the hospital. Cracking your head open is not romantic. Your date would rather you stay with them and chat than go off and get hurt. Another tip is that if you or your date are extremely unsteady on your skates, I would advise against holding hands, unless it’s for a photo op. If you fall, and you’re holding your date’s hand, they will go down with you and vice versa. 

The biggest thing is to have fun, be yourself, and enjoy your time with the person you are with. The location is not the biggest part of the date, although Frog Pond is gorgeous. The biggest part is your relationship with this other person. If you stay safe and use your head, everything else will fall into place in one of the most beautiful settings in Boston. 

Olivia is a senior Creative Writing Major from New Hampshire. She loves to ice skate, write novels, and bake, as well as spend time with her elderly rabbit, who is the true star of the show.