girl blinds sun happy bracelets smiling
girl blinds sun happy bracelets smiling
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

5 Things to do to Improve Your Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Many of us are not morning people and often dread the thought of waking up early. Whether you’re waking up early for class, work, or any other reason, here are five things you can do to improve your mornings!

1.     Plan and prepare the night before.

Make a plan, an itinerary, a list of what you need to do tomorrow, anything to make your mornings less stressful. Pick out what you’re going to wear and what you’re eating for breakfast. Having a plan can remove the stress over having to make decisions in the morning so you can just focus on the day ahead. Now, if you’re not the traditional pen and paper type of person, some apps I highly recommend are Pureple Outfit Planner and Morning Routine. Pureple Outfit Planner is a fun app you can use to pick out your outfits. You simply digitize your closet and all you have to do is swipe left or right on outfit options in the morning! Morning Routine is an app you can use the night before to input a schedule of what you need to do in the morning, including a time frame. 

2.     Wake up 15 minutes earlier than you need to.

No one really wakes up right when their alarm goes off, many of us will just lie in bed and roll around until the very last minute before we really need to wake up. Instead, you should set your alarm 15 minutes earlier than you usually wake up, that way you have some extra time to lay around in bed and you won’t be as rushed.

3.     Drink a glass of water.

Studies have shown that drinking water first thing in the morning boosts metabolism and helps clear the mind. So, after you wake up, go and drink a glass of water!

4.     Stretch.

Your body has been in a horizontal, sleeping position for hours, so take a moment to stretch and move around, get your blood flowing! Stretching can help loosen your body and help you feel more awake and ready for the day ahead.

5.     Make your bed.

You know that feeling when you first walk into a hotel room, and the first thing you lay your eyes on is the perfectly made bed, a bed that’s basically begging you to slide between the sheets and relax in. Well now imagine that same room but with a crumply, messy bed…now you don’t want to, right? Exactly. Now, remember that feeling and take a couple minutes every morning to make your bed!

Ada Wong

Emerson '23

Ada is a freshman at Emerson College majoring in writing, literature and publishing. She is from California and is an avid cook and animal lover.
Emerson contributor