5 Rom-Coms to Binge on Valentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With my valentine being ten thousand miles away, my Valentine’s Day plans this year are pretty set. I’m a sucker for a good romantic comedy, and what better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than to watch all my favorite ones?

Gather up your pink bath bombs, face masks, TJ Maxx candles, and pricy chocolates, because we’re having a movie night.

1. Legally Blonde 

Although not an outright romance movie, Legally Blonde carries such an amazing and important love story. Elle Woods got revenge on her ex-boyfriend by working hard and becoming successful. After building up her grit and confidence, she found a more genuine, supportive love. The ultimate happy-ending.

2. 10 Things I Hate About You 

The movie follows Bianca Stratford who isn’t allowed to date unless her older, more abrasive sister, Kat, does. Bianca’s suitors then devise a plan to pay Patrick Verona to date Kat. This movie is honestly one of my all-time favorites. Young Heath Ledger as bad-boy, Patrick Verona, is my guilty pleasure. Beyond that, it’s a film that every girl can relate to. Kat’s poem in the end? I felt that hard.

3. Can’t Buy Me Love 

Another high-school love story centering nerdy Ronald Miller who, to boost his popularity, pays head cheerleader Cindy Marcini to date him. Miller’s rise to popularity is a smooth (and very funny) one, but he soon realizes the costs of maintaining a reputation. Overall, Can’t Buy Me Love is such a feel-good movie that you have to watch if you’re a sucker for 80s teen films.

4. Crazy, Stupid, Love 

Crazy, Stupid, Love weaves several love stories into one cohesive plot abundant with little twists. The story follows Cal Weaver, whose wife, Emily, demands a divorce. Cal meets womanizer Jacob Palmer who then teaches him how to pick up women. The story comes full circle in the end when Jacob dates Hannah, Cal’s older daughter. Not to mention that Ryan Gosling is in it so that’s reason enough to watch it on Valentine’s.

5. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days 

Journalist Andie Anderson is assigned to write an article on “how to lose a guy in 10 days.” Benjamin Barry, an advertising executive, bets his boss he can make any woman fall in love with him within 10 days. Coincidentally (or not so coincidentally because this is a rom-com after all) they find each other. There’s something so emotionally satisfying about this movie that’ll urge you to rewatch it soon enough.

Journalism major at Emerson College. Coffee and clothing enthusiast.
Emerson contributor