5 Movies to Watch with Your Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Whether you just want to chill with your squad or you need to de-stress from midterms, sometimes we just need to get our friends together, binge on junk food, and put on a few movies. Here’s five movies to consider playing next time you’re having a movie marathon and all arguing on what to watch:

1. Hidden Figures

Let’s be real, Hidden Figures got nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars for a reason. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, it’s a docudrama that follows NASA employees Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer), and Mary Jackson (Janelle Monáe) as they work to fight against the racism present in their work environment so that they can help put the first person from the US in space. If you have already seen this movie, it’s never a bad time to watch three women in STEM be amazing.

2. Lilo & Stitch

What movie marathon would be complete without at least one Disney movie? This movie has everything: A realistic relationship between sisters, Elvis music, surfing, and a fluffy blue alien. It’s a feel-good movie, and it was the earlier (and better) movie Disney did about the bond between sisters. Whether you’re watching this movie for the first time or the hundredth time, the story about Nani and Lilo as they navigate the murky waters of being sisters in a child-guardian relationship, all while trying to keep their alien pet Stitch from making too much trouble will never not win your heart over.

3. Wonder Woman

We all freaked out when we found out that we were getting a Wonder Woman movie. Since you can’t exactly invite Gal Gadot to come hang out and watch movies at your dorm, watching her perform awesome stunts in her blockbuster hit is the next best thing. So gather up your real-life Amazons, sit back, and cheer on Diana as she sets out on her mission to defeat Ares.

4. Kiki’s Delivery Service

What better time to watch a movie about a young witch than in October? Studio Ghibli films are always fun to watch with friends, and Kiki’s Delivery Service is no exception! We can’t all start our own businesses at the age of 13, but we can relate to Kiki’s struggle to find her place in new surroundings. We all have a little bit of Kiki in us, and you’ll definitely be rooting for her as you watch this film.

5. Everything, Everything

Remember Rue from The Hunger Games? Well, they’re all grown up now and you can watch them in this cute romance based on the YA bestseller of the same name by Nicola Yoon! Amandla Stenberg plays Maddy, a girl who never leaves her house because she was diagnosed with an immunodeficiency disease. Her world is made up, for the most part, of her books, her mother, and her nurse, Carla. Then a new family moves in next door, and once Maddy sees Olly she’s wondering if maybe she’s outgrown the bubble she’s lived in all her life.

All of the aforementioned movies are available through the Boston Public Library or through your usual mode of renting or purchasing movies. Hidden Figures is available through the campus library and Lilo & Stitch is available through Hulu.

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor