free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s that time of year again—internship season. 

I know. Ugh. So many applications and personal essays and cover letters and resumes and writing samples and photos and interviews on the horizon. It all comes with the territory. 

Here are some of the most important tips to utilize when it comes to acing that coveted internship and landing your dream role. You’re going to do great!

1. Dress to impress

The world of professional dressing is changing. Many internships and jobs have way less formal dress codes than they did when our parents were younger, but that doesn’t always apply to interviews. 

Do not show up in jeans, under any circumstances (unless they’re black and paired with a professional blazer). Your interview, in many cases, will be your first impression; the face to the name. What you do at this interview can make or break your chances (no pressure). So make sure to put your best foot forward. 

The general rule is to dress a notch or two above what the general dress code is there. Do your research and dress accordingly. As Coco Chanel once said, “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress. Dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”

Wear sensible shoes like flats or booties. Pair a skirt or semi-professional pants with a solid top and blazer. The jewelry and makeup depend on where you’ve applied. 

2. Print out a copy of your resume

Sure, you’ve probably already sent it to them, but that doesn’t mean they’ll have it on hand. This detail will set a responsible precedent that leaves a lasting impression. In some fields, it’s even implied as mandatory. 

Refer back to it during your interview, but also try to list things that you may not have put on there to show your range outside the topic of your job. It shows character and interest and will set you apart from others applying for the same job.

3. Practice

If you’ve ever been interviewed before, you probably know the majority of questions they’re going to ask you. If not, look some up. It’s typically pretty formatted and uniform, that way every candidate gets a similar evaluation opportunity. Don’t memorize your answers, but make sure you have at least one for every one you think they’re going to ask. 

This prior preparation will also help you not stress out so much. 

4. Take notes

Or at least bring a notebook. This will show that you’re serious about the position. It gives off a studious vibe and makes you look extremely prepared. It can even help keep you calm during the interview, giving your brain a way to take breaks if needed. 

5. Come up with a question beforehand

At the end of every interview, without question, they will ask you “Do you have any questions?” Don’t just sit there blank. This is your opportunity to show initiative. They always expect one. 

Research your internship. Come up with a handful of questions. Write them down in your little notebook to take to your interview so that you don’t blank here at the end.

Lilli is a Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. This is her second year as a member of Her Campus and second as a Campus Trendsetter. Lilli is a senior journalism major at Emerson College with minors in fiction and women, gender, and sexuality studies. She's a bubbly Aries who loves to keep a busy schedule, but she always leaves enough room for food, friends, and curling up to watch HGTV. Follow her on Instagram @lillircohen
Emerson contributor