This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s coming up on summer, which means getting an internship might be a priority on your list. To really stand out from the thousands of other college students vying for internships, you’re going to need to spruce up your resume. Luckily, we have a few tips and tricks!

1. Use a fancy font

You don’t have to spend hours designing every aspect of your resume, but if you customize it and give it a personal style, it’s more likely to stand out, and you’re more likely to be remembered by employers.

2. Make sure it all fits on one page

Employers are going through tons of resumes, so they’re going to roll their eyes at one that is longer than necessary. If all of your information can’t fit on one page, just include your most impressive experience and what’s relevant to the job you’re applying for. Keep it clean. 

3. Tailor your resume to the job 

If a job is looking for special skills and specific experience, make sure that anything that could be relevant is included on your resume. Don’t make things up, of course, but in the case that your experience is closely linked to the job you’re applying for, you want to put an emphasis on it. 

4. Triple-check for typos 

There is nothing more unappealing to a potential employer than seeing a glaring typo! Make sure you double and triple check your resume so that it is in perfect order. Spellcheck is your friend! You can always ask others to proofread your resume as well.

5. Be honest, but don’t be afraid to boast 

You would be great for this job, so make sure they know it through your resume! You’re allowed to pad your resume without it being a lie, and you’re allowed to be clear about the things you’re good at!

With these helpful tips, you’ll land your dream internship in no time!

Emerson contributor