This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

GOT7: A group of seven funny, charismatic, kind, and talented men. They are also a group that I think doesn’t get enough appreciation. Their music helps me cheer up whenever I am feeling down, and they are a group I think everybody should know about. If you’re into K-pop, you might’ve heard “Just Right (딱 좋아)” on repeat a few years ago; it’s practically a K-pop staple, and Mark’s donut hoodie is recognizable everywhere. You might’ve even heard the edgy and #1 hype-up track “Hard Carry 하드캐리” and repeated Jackson’s iconic “Welcome to my world, let’s do this.” But if you haven’t listened to their B-sides before, you are seriously missing out on some hidden gems. Here are five GOT7 B-sides I haven’t gotten out of my head since listening to them.

people at a concert
Photo by Nainoa Shizuru from Unsplash

“믿어줄래 (Believe)” (Spinning Top: Between Security & Insecurity, 2019)

I don’t know if this is a popular opinion or not, but I think the B-side tracks on Spinning Top: Between Security & Insecurity are some of the catchiest songs that GOT7 has in their discography. “믿어줄래 (Believe)” is my personal favorite track off of the EP, and it’s the perfect song to listen to when you are on a late night drive with the windows rolled down. BamBam took charge of the music and lyrics, and every song he crafts is an absolute masterpiece. The line distribution is also another thing I love about this song; while there aren’t any places that all of the members sing together, they each have distinct voices and ways of delivering their lines in the song. BamBam’s ability to highlight all of their individual voices is part of what makes “믿어줄래 (Believe)” so special.

“HEY” (Flight Log: Turbulence, 2016)

This was actually a B-side that I discovered recently. While GOT7 is one of my favorite artists, I still have to listen to a huge amount of their B-side tracks, which I think is great because those are just more hidden gems waiting to be found. “HEY” is a B-side off of GOT7’s second Korean studio album called Flight Log: Turbulence, which is the second part of the group’s Flight Log trilogy. Youngjae took part in the music and lyrics for the song, and this song highlights the vocal line’s higher registers. “HEY” sounds a little reminiscent of “A,” an earlier gem of the group, proving that they haven’t lost their signature charm.

“너 하나만 One and Only You (feat. Hyolyn)” (Eyes on You, 2018)

I think Eyes on You is an EP that gets overlooked a lot, and it deserves more appreciation. “너 하나만 One and Only You” appears as the first track of the EP, and features Hyolyn, former member of girl group Sistar. Leader JB took control of the song’s lyrics, which convey the message of hopeless romance and that feeling of endlessly thinking about that special someone. The track is upbeat yet laid back, and the combination of GOT7’s R&B  leanings with Hyolyn’s sultry voice makes for the ultimate listening experience. This is a great song to listen to if you are winding down, or if you just want to vibe to some good music for a while.

“Teenager” (7 for 7, 2017)

When I tell you that whenever “Teenager” comes on I crank up the volume so high, I am never lying. “Teenager” appears as the second track in the group’s seventh EP titled 7 for 7, which happens to be my favorite EP by the group because it feels like a gift from the boys to Ahgases (the GOT7 fandom). “Teenager” is one of my favorite tracks by them, simply because it radiates good vibes, and never fails to bring my spirits up. The lyrics of “Teenager” represent the euphoria of being young and in love, and how someone can make their lover so excited that they become a teenager, no matter how old they are. The boys also always look so genuinely happy when they perform this song. If you think I’m lying, watch this performance—I guarantee you, you’re going to have a smile plastered on your face by the end of the video.

“RUN AWAY” (Call My Name, 2019)

As soon as I heard the snappy introduction along with Yugyeom’s shiver-inducing riff, I knew that this song was going to be in my favorites folder. “RUN AWAY” appears as the second to last track in the group’s 2019 EP Call My Name. Jinyoung took part in writing lyrics for the song, which also convey the act of being young and in love. This song was such a spotlight for the vocal line, especially with Yugyeom’s sweet airy voice combined with JB’s effortless melodies. “RUN AWAY” is an all-around catchy and upbeat song, and what’s not to love about that? We also finally got a performance of the song after months of silent begging, which you can watch here.

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.
Emerson contributor