5 Food-Based Face Masks for All Skin Types

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A lot of times we turn to chemical-based drug store face washes, luxury brand moisturizers or specialty store scrubs to keep our skin clear and glowing. One of the best all-natural ways to take care of your skin, though, can be through DIY food-based face masks. Check out the five below that cover every skin woe.

1. Açai Berry Mask

Looking to tighten up your pores? Try out this açai berry facial.

Ingredients:

– 2/3 cup sugar

– 2 tsp.  açai powder or ¼ cup açai slush

– 10 fresh, whole berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, or mix)

– 1 tbsp. olive oil

Directions:

Mash the sugar, açai powder/slush and berries together. Slowly add the olive oil and mix. Massage into the face. Leave on for approximately five minutes, rinse off with warm water.

Check out the recipe!

2. Pumpkin Mask

Pumpkin muffins, pumpkin lattes… during the fall there’s pumpkin everything. So try out this anti-aging pumpkin facemask that’s packed with antioxidants and vitamins C and A.

Ingredients:

– 2 cups canned pumpkin

– 4 tbsp. low-fat vanilla yogurt

– 4 tbsp. honey

– 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Directions:

Blend the ingredients together thoroughly. Apply generously to your face and leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse.

Check out the recipe!

3. Yogurt Mask

Greek yogurt is a great breakfast go-to. It’s also a great ingredient in getting smoother skin.

Ingredients:

– 1 cup plain Greek yogurt

– 2 to 3 drops of almond/olive oil

– 1 tbsp. honey

Directions:

Mix ingredients together. Apply to face and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

Check out the recipe!

4. Banana Mask

This mask will not only smell delicious, but also solve your oily skin woes.

Ingredients:

– 1 banana

– 2 tbsp. honey

– An orange/lemon

Directions:

Mash the banana, and then mix in the honey. Putting the ingredients in a blender is recommended. Add a couple drops of juice from the orange/lemon. Apply to your face for 15 minutes before rinsing with either a cool or warm washcloth. Moisturize after the treatment.

Check out the recipe!

5. Avocado & Honey Mask

During the colder months our skin becomes dry and chap. Avoid rough dry skin with this avocado and honey mask.

Ingredients:

– 2 tbsp. of avocado flesh

– 2 tbsp. honey

– 1 egg yolk

Directions:

Blend or mash all ingredients together. Spread the mask over your face and leave on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing.

Check out the recipe!

Which mask will you try first?

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor