5 Fall Fashion Trends to Rock at Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Thanksgiving is an enigma – not only is it a time for food, family, booze, and fun, but also a time to reflect on the massacres of our country’s past (and present), and the subsequent lies fed to us since childhood about those massacres. However, Thanksgiving is also a time to bust out your cutest fall outfit. Whether it’s for a friendsgiving, a family dinner, or even for 10 minutes while you wait for the pumpkin pie to finish cooking, you should spend at least some of Thanksgiving looking cute, cozy, and oh, so trendy. Even (especially) if you don’t actually go anywhere.

1. Cropped Sweaters

This a staple in my closet, not only because I love a good crop top and a good sweater, but because they can be dressed up, dressed down, or hit a nice versatile middle with ease. Jeans and heels and you’re business casual; jeans and boots and you’re out for coffee at noon; a skirt and heels and you’re going out to dinner; the list goes on. This is a perfect piece for Thanksgiving because you get the coziness of a sweater without the warmth, which comes in handy when you’re helping out in the kitchen (or running it).

2. Chunky Cardigans

I know, I know – this is predictable. Cardigans?? Really? Who isn’t wearing a cardigan? Everyone’s grandfather has been wearing cardigans for generations! But, listen, I’m talking about a specific kind of cardigan – I’m talking chunky, knit, over-sized, with big brown buttons that take your upscale, fancy dress and booty heels down a notch to cute, cool, comfy chic. Plus, we could all use something to cover up a bit post-turkey.

3. Duster Vests

Personally, I haven’t had the courage to try this piece out yet but I am dying to. I think vests are the superior outerwear in (almost) every occasion, but I have recently become obsessed with long coats, long shirts, long anything. Vests are another example of something cute and fall-oriented that won’t have sweat stains by the end of the night. My go-to look for this is a slim, sleek underneath – skinny jeans, a turtleneck (or just a tight top), simple heels, and a statement duster vest will have all heads turning toward you when you walk in the door.

4. Tight Turtlenecks

Not only are turtlenecks warm, versatile, and sleek af, but they make every outfit look sophisticated. You could pair this with some ripped jeans and classic heeled booties and BAM you’re practically on the runway. Or, slip on a faux-suede or flannel skirt with tights and not only are you comfy and cozy, but you look like you’ve just stepped off the streets of some rainy fall city like Chicago or Boston or Paris.

5. Blanket Sweaters

So, I know I spent half of this article suggesting things that won’t be too hot, but there are those of us who are cold in any and every situation (not me), and there are those of us who keep our places of residence as cold as possible at all times (me). There’s a pretty solid chance you will encounter people like me, and residences like mine this Thanksgiving season, so coming prepared (and stylish) always comes in handy. This look screams, “I’m comfy and snuggly, but I will always look cute no matter what,” in simple, easy to understand fashion language. Just watch out for your sleeves in the gravy!!

Ailish Harris is a Stage Management and Performing Arts Design transfer student at the University of Utah. She's originally from Salt Lake City, UT, but was lucky enough to attend Emerson College in Boston, MA for her first 3 semesters of college. She has written for both Her Campus Emerson and Her Campus Utah, and is the current Editor in Chief for Her Campus Utah! She is a student leader in many capacities, working as the Secretary for Stage Managers at the U and as the Historian for the Department of Theatre's Student Advisory Committee. She loves Halloween, cooking, theatre, documentaries, organization, fashion, her pet hedgehog Chester, true crime, and Her Campus!
Emerson contributor