This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Fall is in the air and it’s time to get cozy. Put on your favorite sweater and pack your tote bag. Boston is a metropolis of endless activity and millions of hidden gems. The cool weather makes fall the perfect time to find your new favorite spots. There’s plenty to do this spooky season and you do not want to miss out on these fun events. Grab yourself, a friend, or a significant other to explore Boston on these dates. 

Beacon Hill Books and Cafe

The latest hotspot for book lovers is Beacon Hill Books and Cafe. Hidden within the brick and cobblestone of Beacon Hill, the store appears to be a home with a small tunnel-like entry to the cafe. The outdoor cafe is a courtyard between buildings, serving drinks from coffee to cocktails and savory dishes. The cafe serves breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea. 

With four floors of books, the coziness and charm is never-ending. It is also the perfect spot to take photos with some books and buddies. The children’s floor is a must-visit with a toy train that circles the room all day long. The bookstore also hosts dozens of author events every month. Find the topic, author and price best for you and get cozy at an author talk. Then, explore thrift stores and shops throughout the neighborhood.

Ghosts and Gravestones Tour

It’s October and spooky season is here! The best way to be frightened is on the Ghosts and Gravestones Tour. With three levels of fright to choose from, you’re sure to be spooked. The tour takes you to two of Boston’s most haunted sites, including the Omni Parker House Hotel and through historic burying grounds. 

Tours leave every half hour from 6:30 to 9:00 PM from Atlantic Avenue by Aquarium station. Make the most of your tour by dressing up in your scariest costume. Bring some friends and prepare to be scared!

Get a fall drink at The Well Coffee House

Located on Washington Street near State Street Station, The Well Coffee House welcomes customers every day. The cafe is decorated with comfy leather chairs and a mural of the Make Way of Ducklings parading through Boston with their favorite drinks. Their fall flavors include apple pie, pumpkin spice, peanut butter and every variation of chai. My personal favorite is the addictive iced peach green tea.  

Each month, The Well Coffee House donates all of its profits to a new nonprofit in Massachusetts. All proceeds in October will go to Friendship Works, a Boston-based non-profit fighting elder isolation. On your next trip Downtown, you can make a difference by just buying a fall drink.

Open Market on Boylston Street and in Harvard Square

The Boston Open Market welcomes clothing, art and jewelry vendors every weekend until the end of October. Every Saturday, Boylston Street welcomes vendors just steps from Emerson College, right outside the Boston Public Garden. There is a wide selection of vintage and second-hand clothing with some vendors offering a student discount. After you’ve shopped around, walk through the Public Garden and continue your day Downtown. 

On Sundays, Harvard Square comes to life with the open market. Check out the accessories and handmade items. These markets are perfect for finding birthday gifts or early holiday shopping. After your visit, explore the shops in Harvard Square and visit the Harvard Art Museum for free. Both markets operate from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Be sure to check for market cancellations during inclement weather.

Boston Book Festival on 10/14

Book Festival is back! On Saturday, October 14th, the Boston Book Festival will return to Copley Square. The festival is a free event suited for bookworms and writers of all ages. The events include writing workshops, author talks, and story hours. 

Events will take place in Copley Square, in the Boston Public Library and the Old South Church. The festival is from 10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., so stop in throughout the day and enjoy the events best suited for you. Get a Boston Public Library card while you’re there and check out a book.

Whether fall is your favorite season or not, I hope you enjoy it since we take it pretty seriously around here! Have fun with yourself, your friends, or your loved ones on these fall-fun adventures.

Related:
Madison Lucchesi is a freshman journalism student at Emerson College. She is a writer for WEBN Boston News. During her free time, she enjoys dancing, writing, reading and baking goodies for her loved ones and friends. She has a cat named Kitty. You can find her writing in SPINE, Community Literacy Journal, TeenBlurb Magazine and on Instagram @eclipsingentries.