This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter’s just around the corner! Not only are we in the midst of cuffing season, but that means some of the cute dates you had planned during the fall like apple picking and hayrides are gonna have to go back on the shelf for a few months. Winter is usually the time to hole up and hide from the cold, but that doesn’t mean you can’t plan a few fun dates in the process! Keep reading for my list of date ideas for this season:

1. Netflix and Legos

Netflix and chill is fine and all, but why not Netflix and Legos? It gives you the chance to create something together (or compete and build something freely), while having a fun show or movie playing in the background. If you want something to talk about, you can always draw on whatever show or movie you’re watching! If Legos aren’t your thing you can always swap them out for puzzles. Or if you’d rather play with Legos somewhere outside your dorm or apartment, check out my article on Adult Night at the LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Boston!

2. Board Game Cafe

It’s all fun and games until your competitive streaks come out! Cafes are usually a safe bet for a lowkey date. Why not do something a little different and go to a board game cafe? Besides being able to chat over a tea or coffee (and maybe some pastries) you can have fun playing new favorite board games or maybe ones you haven’t seen in a years!

3. Cooking and Baking

The best way to pretty much anyone’s heart is their stomach. Why not try cooking a meal or baking something together? It doesn’t have to be a whole feast or something super complicated, but spending time in the kitchen together can be a totally fun way to bond, work as a team, and make something delicious in the process! There are so many different ways to find a recipe to try, from going online to using a cookbook to trying something you saw on a show!

4. Go to the CommonNow that winter’s starting to kick in, you might not be taking long walks at the Boston Common, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be a fun place to hang out! Head over to the Frog Pond, rent some ice skates, and go around the rink. Or if you’re like me and the idea of wearing any sort of skates that make your feet unsteady isn’t your cup of tea, wait for the next snow day and go to the Commons for your favorite snow day activities!

5. Catch a Show

Movies are a great for a date, but there are also so many different live shows to see in Boston! From musicals to comedy shows to dance shows, Boston has a wide variety of shows in so many different venues at professional and university levels. You don’t have to break the bank to catch a live show! Check out what places might have rush tickets, what troupes are putting on a show at different colleges in the area, what venues offer student discounts, and what shows are on Groupon!

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor