books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Comic Book Collections With Serious Girl Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Sometimes we need a break from the dense reading we’re assigned for our classes. The problem is, we can’t actually start that book we’ve been practically salivating over because it just wouldn’t be fair. You want to save that special book for when you can truly sit down and enjoy it, without the burden and constant reminder that you have a pile of reading you should be doing instead.  

If you can’t read anything you’ve been assigned, or start a new book, the question remains, what should you read that doesn’t take hours and hours? You could try a graphic novel, or a comic! They’re perfect since they can be read in one or two sittings. A lot of comics are compiled into multiple volumes, so you can read more than one comic at a time. The combination of pictures and words makes reading these volumes a much different experience than just reading written texts.  

I’ve compiled a list of some great volumes featuring strong, dynamic female leads. 

1. Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal

Written by award winning author Willow Wilson, Ms. Marvel is about Kamala Kahn, a 16 year old Muslim girl who lives in Jersey City, New Jersey. Seemingly out of nowhere, she realizes that she has some extraordinary abilities. Find out how Kamala deals with her new powers and how she immerses herself in the new, secret world her powers present.

2. Saga, Vol. 1

Written by Brian K. Vaughn and illustrated by the award winning Fiona Staples, Saga is the story of two soldiers from warring planets. Amidst a never-ending galactic feud, the two fall in love and have a child. Saga is the story of how they survive and fight to find their place in the universe. 

3. The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1

The Faust is written by Kieron Gillen. Every ninety years, twelve gods reincarnate in human form, yet die after only two years. In The Wicked + The Divine, the gods who wield inhumane power are reborn as pop stars. Vol. 1 is the story of how the gods rise, and the important role one young, seemingly unimportant girl has on their life. But, being a god doesn’t mean they can live forever.  

4. Fables: Legends in Exile, Vol 1

The fabled lands have been conquered and the legends must relocate in exile to survive. The fabled disguise themselves as “mundys,” not only to survive but to try and fight to reclaim their former home. But, these fable characters are not like the ones from the storybooks. By Bill Willingham. 

5. Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Written by Joe Hill and Jay Fotos, Locke & Key takes place in an old New England mansion, which houses unusual doors that transform anyone who dares walk through into creatures filled with fury and hate. Yet, there exists a key that can seal the terrible doors forever. 

So, next time you need a little break, go sit at a bookstore, grab your favorite drink, and pick up one these titles!

Courtney is a junior BFA Writing, Literature, and Publishing student with a minor in Marketing from Emerson College. She is very much a libra. One day she hopes to pursue a career in words, or surronded by words. 
Emerson contributor