5 Celebrity Organizations Fighting Climate Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With only eleven years left until this dumpster fire of a planet gives in, it’s cool to be environmentally conscious. These celebs are leading the charge with awesome organizations that strive to preserve natural beauty around the world. Not only are they protecting animals and wild spaces, but they’re also driving the search for clean energy solutions for a sustainable future.

The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation

In 1998, after his iconic role in Titanic, DiCaprio created this organization to preserve wild habitats. Now, 21 years later, his foundation is old enough to drink and successfully takes on wildlife conservation and the stability of endangered ecosystems through collaboration and the generation of public awareness about environmental issues. Currently, they have issued grants to organizations like LA Compost to reduce emissions and Carbon Cycle Institute to advocate for carbon farming.

The Solutions Project (co-founded by Mark Ruffalo)

A powerhouse for renewable energy, the Solutions Project is working to power the world on clean, renewable energy while also lifting up female leaders and minorities. The foundation’s vision is global clean energy by the year 2050. In 2018, they distributed $1.3 million to frontline organizations lead predominantly by women and people of color.

The Honest Company (founded by Jessica Alba)

Founded on the idea that products can be affordable and good for you, Alba created this company which not only supports humanitarian efforts, but does so in a way that promotes sustainability and works towards a greener future. One way they drive their green standard is through packaging that is recycled and doesn’t use PVC or polystyrene. This company proves that economical and environmental benefits can go hand in hand.

The Ian Somerhalder Foundation

Created in 2010 with his wife Nikki Reed, Somerhalder established this foundation to preserve natural resources and promote a sustainable future. The ISF sponsors an annual cleanup in Flint, Michigan and provides grants to keep communities in America green. By driving innovation, collaboration, and education, their organization tackles environmental problems and promotes conservative efforts.

The Footprint Coalition (founded by Robert Downey Jr.)

Taking its baby steps, Downey’s organization plans to clean up the planet by working with the world’s leading scientists to use revolutionary nanotechnology and robotics. The Footprint Coalition launches in 2020 and hopefully, RDJ is ready to save the world again.

Cats, spaghetti, and the Oxford comma.
Emerson contributor