5 Badass Female Superheroes You Should be Rooting For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We all love Wonder Woman, but there are plenty other amazing female superheroes to read, watch, and root for.

1. Batgirl/Barbara Gordon

Due to her fighting skills and intelligence, Batgirl earned herself a place as a trusted ally of Batman. Even when she’s injured by the Joker and confined to a wheelchair, she continued to fight crime as Oracle, using her smarts to become an information hub to continue helping Batman fight crime and leading the Birds of Prey, an all-female superhero team. Catch Batgirl in DC’s Rebirth and keep a lookout for her solo movie which was announced in March 2017.  

2. Miss America/America Chavez

America Chavez is extremely strong, fast, durable, and, oh yeah, she can also rip holes in reality! She’s been a member of the Teen Brigade (which she also co-leads), the A-Team (an all-female team), and has more recently The Ultimates. She’s also the first Latina LGBTQ+ superhero to have her own series at Marvel. In a possible future, she became the new Captain America, so definitely keep an eye on her in her currently-running solo series America.

3. Storm/Ororo Munroe

Storm is first and foremost a powerful mutant and a valued member of the X-Men. Her control of the weather makes her a fierce opponent and she’s also led the X-Men on more than one occasion. She’s been featured in both the original X-Men movies and the more recent installment X-Men: Apocalypse.  She also has a new solo comic series coming out written by Ta-Nehisi Coates.  

4. Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan

Kamala Khan is a teenage girl who discovers she’s an Inhuman, developing shape-shifting powers. She modeled herself off of the former Ms. Marvel and current Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers, and most recently appeared in a Marvel Legacy story, featuring her and her mentor. Her solo series has garnered critical acclaim; the first volume won the Hugo award for Best Graphic Story. Kamala is the first Muslim character to headline a comic book and her stories explore her as she reconciles her Pakistani-American identity while fighting evil.

5. Hawkeye/Kate Bishop

While she had no power, Kate Bishop is savvy and an incredible fighter, especially excelling in archery. After being rescued by the Young Avengers, Kate became a member herself and has served as a protege and partner for the original Hawkeye, Clint Barton. She has co-starred in both the 2012 Hawkeye series and All-New Hawkeye and now has her own title. Hawkeye is resourceful, hilarious, and awesome.

Who’s your favorite?

Abby McAuliffe is a junior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. In the future, she hopes to become an editor and science fiction author.
Emerson contributor