5 Amazing Movie Scores/Soundtracks That Perfectly Accompany Their Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A great soundtrack can make or break a great movie. Here are some of my favorite movie scores and soundtracks that I think stand out.

crowded movie theatre
Photo by Erik Witsoe from Unsplash

The Sting

The Sting soundtrack has been one of my favorite movie scores since before I even saw the movie, when I fell in love with the music of Scott Joplin. Marvin Hamlisch’s adaptation of Joplin’s music adds great vibes to The Sting. Even though the time period for the music is technically inaccurate, it perfectly accompanies the movie in terms of mood and emotion. So much so that Hamlisch won an Oscar for his score!

Reservoir Dogs

The Reservoir Dogs soundtrack works really well as it’s mostly diegetic, where we’re listening to is a part of the universe that the characters are living in. Most of the soundtrack is part of K Billy’s Super Sounds of the 70s, a radio station show that the characters listen to. Not only are the song choices great, but it makes them even better that we know the characters are listening to the songs as well. It creates a connection between viewer and character. The torture scene is so much more gresuome knowing that Mr. White jamming out to the radio the whole time.

Taxi Driver

Bernard Herrman’s Taxi Driver score is so beautifully haunting. Taxi Driver is not quite a loud movie, so the saxophone of Herrman’s score adds the perfect tinge of emotion to Travis’ conflicts in the movie. “Betsy’s Theme” is a song that has stuck in my mind since I first watched the movie. It has the ability to make the viewer understand the loneliness and turmoil that Travis is facing, which is exactly what a score’s job is to do.

The Graduate

Here’s to you, Paul Simon! His soundtrack that accompanies The Graduate might almost be more iconic than the movie itself. From songs like “Mrs. Robinson” to “Sound of Silence”, this soundtrack has remained popular since its release in the late 1960s. Simon and Garfunkel’s songs inserted into the movie create the perfect vibe to accompany us on our journey through Benjamin’s struggles and emotions. Music is a great way to connect with a character in a movie, and these iconic songs are not an exception.

Saturday Night Fever

The Bee Gees did not have to go so hard for the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, but we are so lucky that they did. With tunes like “Stayin’ Alive” and “Night Fever,” the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is so indicative of the year that it was released and the energy surrounding it. Considering the movie is surrounding a dance competition, it’s important to have great music, but this soundtrack will make you want to get up and dance like John Travolta yourself!

Gillian Anderson is a journalism major at Emerson College. She's interested in film and loves writing about movies. Gillian's favorite movie is Good Will Hunting and her favorite director is Quentin Tarantino.
Emerson contributor