4 Shows You Can Watch on Netflix to De-stress from Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As the end of the semester is approaching, there is no doubt that most of us are feeling drained or exhausted from finals season. Comprising many huge assignments like group projects, presentations, exams, or essays, finals season isn’t super enjoyable, especially given that this semester definitely wasn’t “normal.” Because finals season gives us high stress levels at any point of the day, it might not be the smart move to watch a show with high-action episodes and plot twists that can make you stay on the couch for hours on end. Here are four shows I recommend if you want to watch something that can help you relax and de-stress from finals.

The Great British Baking Show

This was the first show that came to my mind when thinking of shows that help me relax and forget about the stress I may have at the moment. The Great British Baking Show is a British baking competition show in which 12 amateur bakers compete with each other in a series of rounds testing their technical skills and creativity while attempting to impress judges that are no strangers to the land of baking. In each episode, the judges get to choose a “Star Baker” after all of the challenges are complete, as well as a contestant to send home. This show is really heartwarming because the contestants are really supportive of each other, which I can’t say for many television cooking competitions, to be honest. If you’re looking for something you can put on the TV while you are eating dinner, or perhaps a reward to end your workday, The Great British Baking Show is a great choice.

Queer Eye

There aren’t words to describe how much I love Queer Eye; it’s such a feel-good show and never fails to put me in a happy mood. A reboot of the Bravo series originally known as Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Queer Eye features a team known as the Fab Five (Karamo Brown, Tan France, Antoni Porowski, Bobby Berk, and Jonathan Van Ness) as they help people refine their relationships with culture, fashion, food, interior design, and grooming. Not only does the Fab Five help their “heroes” with these fields, but they also help them with issues that Queer Eye considers really important for their viewers, such as self-esteem and identity. The show has been a global success, and is known for its strong representation of the LGBTQ+ community, as well as communities that include people of color. If you are feeling down and in a need of a pick-me-up, Queer Eye can do no wrong.

Nailed It!

I feel like not a lot of people talk about this show, which sucks because it’s so good, funny, and all around heartwarming! Nailed It! is a bake-off competition in which three amateur bakers compete with each other to replicate complicated and intensely-intricate cakes for a chance to win $10,000. Hosted by Nicole Byer and Jacques Torres, Nailed It! was inspired by the trend of people trying and failing to make elaborate pastries and cakes they found on the Internet. The series has received so much success and critical acclaim, and was nominated for three Primetime Emmy Awards, including twice for Outstanding Competition Program and once for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program. If you are in need of a good laugh during your de-stressing moment, look no further than Nailed It!

Street Food

I didn’t mean for this list to be almost entirely food shows, but for some reason they give me comfort and are a great way for me to de-stress. Street Food is an American documentary series that is pretty self-explanatory. Created by David Gelb and Brian McGuinn, the show takes viewers around the world as it explores different street food and its connection to their countries’ cultures. Archival footage is combined with face-to-face interviews, and the show follows street food chefs and their history. Watching Street Food is really interesting because you never really notice how influential street food is on a country until you learn the history and significance behind it. Netflix has two volumes (Volume 1: Asia and Volume 2: Latin America), so you might not want to watch this on an empty stomach.

Marieska Luzada is a sophomore at Emerson College at Boston, MA majoring in journalism and minoring in publishing. Besides writing for HerCampus, you can find her drafting an a capella arrangement, drinking an iced matcha latte, reading a young adult contemporary, or listening to Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks.
Emerson contributor