4 Female Characters That Inspired Me Growing Up (And Still Do Today)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Dana Scully, The X Files

The fact that I was named after Gillian Anderson, who plays Dana Scully, was enough to make me look up to her when I first started watching The X Files. Scully stood out to me because of how she shows strength in the face of danger but is also a character who has depth and emotion. I love her wit and intelligence that make her a great partner to Mulder.

Ellie Sattler, Jurassic Park

The above video basically took the words out of my mouth. Dr. Sattler in Jurassic Park still remains one of my favorite female characters. She is a badass scientist who handles almost getting eaten by dinosaurs like a champ, and if that’s not something to look up to then I don’t know what is. Dr. Sattler proves she is a woman worthy of any challenge while also being a character that radiates compassion and empathy.

Princess Leia, Star Wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkEam_vNBcE

Princess Leia has been my hero for as long as I can remember. She might have been one of my first exposures to what I consider a strong female character, and her character has always resonated with me. I even dressed up as her for Halloween one year as a kid. She’s spunky, strong-willed, and a great leader.

Clarice Starling, Silence of the Lambs

I like to consider seeing Silence of the Lambs to be my first exposure to what would start my love of film. Of course, that’s not true, as I have always loved movies. However, I do think that this movie marks an important part of my journey into film. What appealed to me about Clarice was her vulnerability and how her character is learning on the job as the movie progresses. 

Gillian Anderson is a journalism major at Emerson College. She's interested in film and loves writing about movies. Gillian's favorite movie is Good Will Hunting and her favorite director is Quentin Tarantino.
Emerson contributor