This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Not a fan of the pumpkin craze that comes around every autumn? No worries. Try out these four apple recipes that are not only delicious, but also festive. And all from mom’s cookbook!

Apple Crisp with Crumb Topping

Ingredients

Topping:

6 Tbsp. light brown sugar

6 Tbsp. granulated sugar

1 cup flour

1 cup quick cooking oats

9 Tbsp. melted butter

Filling:

Peeled, cored and sliced baking apples

Cinnamon

Granulated sugar

Directions

Topping: Mix sugars, flour and oats together in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix well.

Filling: Peel core and slice enough apples to fill a 13 x 9 inch glass-baking dish. Put sliced apples in dish and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over them. Next, sprinkle the topping mixture over the apples.

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour or until the apples are soft and bubbling. Be sure to put a cookie sheet under the baking dish to catch any juices that may bubble over.

Grandma’s Apple Cake

Ingredients

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup oil

2 cups flour

½ tsp. salt

4 tsp. baking powder

4 tsp. cinnamon

2 tsp. vanilla

6 apples sliced thin

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Topping:

2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a bowl beat the eggs. Gradually add the sugar and oil. Mix well. Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the vanilla and mix. Fold in the apples and walnuts (optional). Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the batter and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes clean.

Apple Pie

Pie Crust Ingredients

1/2 cup salted butter

1 1/2 cups flour

1/4 cup boiling water

Pie Crust Directions

Add boiling water to salt and butter.  Beat with a fork until fluffy.  Add flour to butter mixture.  Make into a ball and chill for 5-10 minutes before rolling out dough.  Repeat process to make the second crust.

Filling Ingredients

10-15 Cortland apples

1 Tbsp. each lemon juice and flour

1 Tbsp.Cinnamon

½ cup Granulated sugar

2 pie crusts (see recipe below)

Filling Directions

Peel, core and slice enough apples to to fill pie plate.  Put sliced apples in a bowl and add lemon juice and flour to them and genlty mix with spoon.  Next add  cinnamon and sugar to apples and mix to coat.

Roll out 2 pie crusts.  Line the pie plate with one of the crusts.  Next add apple mixture to pie plate and cover with remaining crust. Roll  and flute edges of pie crust to seal. Pierce top of pie with fork several times and brush top crust with milk.  Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 60-70 minutes.  Thirty minutes into baking remove aluminum foil and brush top crust with egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Apple Bread

Ingredients

3 eggs

2 cups sugar

1 tbsp. vanilla

1 cup oil

2 cups peeled and cubed apples

3 cups flour

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F.  Grease and flour two bread pans (9″).  Mix together eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil.  Next add flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.  Mix well.  Peel and cut enough apples into cubes to measure 2 cups. Add the apple cubes into the batter and mix.  Divide the batter between the two bread pans.  Bake for about 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Which apple recipe will you try this fall?

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor