4 Books to Read to Prepare for Their Movie Releases

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

2018 looks to be a promising year for page-to-screen adaptations. If you’re like me, you’ll want to prepare yourself for these upcoming movie releases by reading the book they’re based off of first. Here are some movies coming soon that you should start getting ready for.

Every Day

This young adult book by David Levithan tells the story of a person who wakes up in a different person’s body everyday, living the lives of different teenagers. The narrator, A, does their best to keep their “host’s” life in order, but everything changes when they fall for the girlfriend of one of the people they wake up as. This movie looks especially interesting since a different actor/actress will need to play the lead in nearly every scene.

Release date: In theaters now

A Wrinkle in Time

Disney is spinning this beloved book by Madeleine L’Engle into a movie with an all star cast. Meg Murry is the protagonist, a girl who has suffered after her father went missing on a scientific mission. With her brother and classmate, she is chosen by a group of mysterious travelers for a journey to another planet. The world holds many dangers and evils that Meg and her adventurers must overcome if they have any hope of trying to rescue Meg’s father.

Release date: In theaters now

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

The upcoming movie Love, Simon is based off of the young adult novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. The protagonist Simon Spier struggles with the idea of telling his family and friends that he is gay, fearing it will change everything. He forms an anonymous email chain with another anonymous gay boy at his school, but is afraid of what will happen after another student finds his emails and uses them as blackmail.

Release Date: March 16

Ready Player One

This science fiction novel by Ernest Cline tells the story of the teenaged Wade and his adventure in a virtual utopia. He must solve puzzles set in the world by the creator, who promises a wild amount of power and fortune to whoever can solve them. Naturally, Wade isn’t the only one eager to unlock the clues to this tempting prize, and he must struggle to compete and survive among the chaos.

Release Date: March 30

There are other great adaptations coming out this year, but this is just a short list to help you get ready for the most current releases. Happy reading and movie-going!

Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College, concentrating in publishing and minoring in psychology. Avid defender of cats, coffee after dinner, and young adult books.
Emerson contributor